introduction of a newbie

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Hi everybody! My name is Nishtha
I'm new here. I'm quite excited actually and I don't know where to begin.

Have some questions
Do I plunge right in and start suggesting topics, or ease my way into the librivox community first? :hmm:
Should I claim just a chapter to begin with? :?:
Does everybody here know each other?
I'm so confused. :oops:

Nishtha
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Do what is comfortable for you. If you have books that you'd love to see recorded, feel free to post them in the Book Suggestions forum. (In general, we can do books that were published in 1922 or earlier, but there are some exceptions.) Or you can hang out and get a "feel" for the atmosphere here first.

Better to get your 1-minute test submitted and OK'd before claiming a chapter, since your BC (book coordinator) will often tell you to do that before you start recording. ;) Links to the 1-minute test information is in your welcome email.

Everybody here was a newbie once, and didn't know anyone else here. Some of us have been around FOREVER, so we have a good relationship with many of the other members. But people are constantly coming and going, so you're not the only one who feels like the new kid in class. ;)

Hope this helps! Holler if you have more questions. We're a friendly bunch - we have a "be nice" rule which makes this forum one of the nicest on the Internet. (We call it "being LibriVoxy".) 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Oh thanks a lot!
I predict that I'll have great fun here because I love reading and recording. :D
I'm good with voices and expressions.
Thanks for making me feel at home! :thumbs:
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

I think that 'Sideways Stories from Wayside School' is a good book to read. :hmm:

How do I tell people that?

I don't know any good PDFs for it. :(
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

BTW I already got my 1 minute test okayed.

Get ready for recording!

3...2...1...BLAST OFF :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

NishthaRocks wrote:I think that 'Sideways Stories from Wayside School' is a good book to read. :hmm:

How do I tell people that?

I don't know any good PDFs for it. :(
It looks like this book was published in the 1970s, so it is still under copyright.

Once you get your feet wet with group projects, if you want to start a solo, a good place to find ideas is in the Book Suggestions forum. If you're unsure if a book is still under copyright, you can post your idea there, and we'll check it out.

Generally, books need to have been published in or before 1922 to be available for us to record. Some newer works are also available if the copyright wasn't renewed on them. If they're on gutenberg.org and the BIBREC tab on the work shows "Public Domain in the USA", it's usable. The other place we trust is hathitrust.org. Other works published after 1922 are probably still under copyright.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Thanks a lot! :thumbs:

(I like color)