Newbie from Orange County, California

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
dvlnblkdrs

Post by dvlnblkdrs »

Hello all,

My name is Jill, I just got myself all signed up and approved. I already uploaded a 1-minute test and now deciding what to record once approved of my technical-ness. :wink:

I'm an unemployed Paralegal student who loves to craft. Looking forward to seeing y'all on the boards :mrgreen:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi Jill and welcome!
When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you.
Poetry is also a popular launch point (see the Short Works forum, dropdown menu at the bottom of the page).

I would recommend starting slowly -- maybe a section or 2 at around 1000 words, until you get comfortable with the process (it's not just reading). Another tip is to pick a children's work (look in the title for 'children', 'kids' or 'juvenile'). They tend to have simpler language and style. You can then move on to works that interest you more.

One of our admins has made a whole load of YouTube videos, which I found very helpful -- search for instructional Videos in the wiki (see ribbon at top of page). But you may like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i3FwSuzOMY about "What shall I read first?"

Lynne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

If no one checks your test before tomorrow evening (eastern time), I'll take a listen. I probably won't be able to do it before then.

We have some listeners that paint and do other crafts while listening. Maybe that's a possibility for you - proof-listening! When you're not recording, of course. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart