Detroit's Very Own Baritone

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Badada

Post by Badada »

Greetings folks,

My name is Rodney Tompkins and I'm new to the whole Audio Book scene but I've done plenty of projects and paid voice over work for different Youtube Channels and for various employers on Upwork.com.
I'm Detroit born and raised and really want to establish myself here while the city is on the come up.
Always have had a love for reading but haven't had the time to read a good book lately. If I can read something interesting and record the audio book for it on my second time through I'd definitely do it for free just for the experience.
The recording and editing process I could take care of too.
If you have any advice for me getting started please let me know. I'll most likely take advantage of the classic books and short stories that this site has to offer.

Thanks! :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hi and welcome.

The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test . Not an audition, just a way of making sure your equipment is set up right before you make a big recording for us - our specs are likely different from other folks since we are aimed at making it easy to record and submit and download rather than going for the large file size of high bit rates and stereo. (I use a small hand held data recorder myself and don't even record on my computer.)

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects or take on a short role in one of our plays (I have been caught up in the plays - see my signature line), but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you.

Thanks, Todd
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi and welcome, Rodney.