New volunteer

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
eflow

Post by eflow » September 20th, 2017, 10:42 am

Hello from California! I'm new and have no experience! I am fluent in English and Portuguese. :clap:
What is the first thing a newbie must do? Have you all gotten the equipment as suggested on the welcome email?

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » September 20th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Hi and Welcome
The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test There is no need for an expensive mic... a decent USB mic can be bought for about $20 on Amazon. Of course, you can pay a lot more for a better one, but best to see if you enjoy recording before forking out :D The main thing is that your computer's internal mic would not give good results.

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you.
Lynne
I will be on the road this week. I'll check in when I can. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

Help us finish:

My Strange Rescue 7 sections remaining

Mysteries of London Vol. 3 many sections remaining

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 22nd, 2017, 3:59 pm

Welcome!

Do you have a mic yet? If so, try it with the test and see how it goes. :) It seems like nowadays, most microphones work fine for our purposes. I've only had a small handful of tests where I've suggested they get a new/better microphone.
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 3: Here
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room

eflow

Post by eflow » September 22nd, 2017, 4:54 pm

Thank you!
I have ordered a mic, supposed to be good quality type. Once it arrives, I'll work on s test.
Should it be in English or Portuguese? Both?
Thanks.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 22nd, 2017, 5:01 pm

Either one, and it doesn't have to be both. It's not an audition, but to check the volume, tech settings, etc., and that can be done in either language. :)
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 3: Here
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » September 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

eflow wrote:Thank you!
I have ordered a mic, supposed to be good quality type. Once it arrives, I'll work on s test.
Should it be in English or Portuguese? Both?
Thanks.
It can be whichever you wish :D Most of our volunteers are English-speaking, so feedback will probably be in English -- but the actual recording can be whichever you wish.
Lynne

Edit: Tricia types more quickly than I do :lol:
I will be on the road this week. I'll check in when I can. Any emergencies, please contact another admin.

Help us finish:

My Strange Rescue 7 sections remaining

Mysteries of London Vol. 3 many sections remaining