Introducing myself

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
faziarizvi

Post by faziarizvi »

Howdy everyone!

A friend of mine who love to listen to audio books told me about LibreVox a couple of days ago. How intriguing! I'm actually most interested in eventually becoming a reader, so I plan on hanging out here to learn a little more about that.

A little bit about me: I live in Texas. These days I'm a writer and actress but my academic background is cultural anthropology. I used to do web development (for nearly two decades) and taught technical training classes. I love sci-fi. And that's probably enough for now. :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello faziarizvi,  
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here.
stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

faziarizvi wrote:These days I'm a writer and actress but my academic background is cultural anthropology. I used to do web development (for nearly two decades) and taught technical training classes. I love sci-fi.
Very across the board, but surprisingly, that's not so unusual around here! Hi and welcome to Librivox! You can feed all of those interests here, which is maybe why that resume sounds so familiar! If you're interested, you can also check out some of the other ways to help out here, including proof-listening, making cd covers, converting files into iTunes-ready audiobooks (m4b's), helping people with sound files, tech problems, etc., etc.

If you'd like to try Proof-Listening, here's a link to the Guide for Proof-Listeners: Guide for Proof-Listeners This is a great way to start out!

As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that explains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.

One of our volunteers, Philchenevert, has created several great videos that you might find helpful in learning more about Librivox. Here's a list of them: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way. You can just ask away in this same thread if you have any trouble.

Have fun!
Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
faziarizvi

Post by faziarizvi »

Samanem wrote: As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that explains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.
Thank you!

I know this post is several months after my initial "hello", but I've finally got a setup I'm relatively happy with and a test file recorded. I'm a little confused on one thing, though, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction before I upload it?

In the "1-Minute Test" instructions on the wiki, it says that I need to choose a project MC from the drop down menu before I upload my test (and then post the link in the "Listeners Wanted Forum"). I'm not sure what a project MC is, or if I should choose the "tests - tests" option instead from the menu. I haven't explored the possible projects yet and I'm just looking for feedback on my recording quality.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

tests - tests is the right MC for this project :wink:

When the upload is finished - please be patient as the progress bar is not working properly at the moment - the url to the file will appear at step one. Copy it and paste it into a new thread in the "Listeners & Editors Wanted" forum. Somebody will come and listen to your test.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
faziarizvi

Post by faziarizvi »

Availle wrote:tests - tests is the right MC for this project :wink:

When the upload is finished - please be patient as the progress bar is not working properly at the moment - the url to the file will appear at step one. Copy it and paste it into a new thread in the "Listeners & Editors Wanted" forum. Somebody will come and listen to your test.
Thank you! I appreciate the help. :)
faziarizvi

Post by faziarizvi »

Well.

After a six year absence (!!) I'm once again a new member. I'm still a webmaster, actor and writer, but I'm a little more informed about making recordings and still very much excited to help.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well we do suggest people have a look around before taking the plunge, but 6 years is longer than we envisaged :D :D .
Welcome aboard :D

Anne
faziarizvi

Post by faziarizvi »

annise wrote:Well we do suggest people have a look around before taking the plunge, but 6 years is longer than we envisaged :D :D .
Welcome aboard :D

Anne
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, me too.