Hello, from DC!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
thowe

Post by thowe »

Hello, all! I'm an educator, and I have had my students work on audiobooks for class projects--I figured it was time to step up their game, so LibriVox is the obvious way to do that. I think the first class project will be a short work collection of poems by 17th and 18th century female poets. I'll read through all the materials, but I also wanted to ask here--any tips on getting this specific kind of thing started?

Good to meet you!
Tonya
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

We have found that the best outcome for these kind of projects is guaranteed when the teacher knows the ropes already and can help the students with their questions.

So, best to start with your own 1 minute test, and to get a bit of experience by recording a few sections in any projects that interest you. Once you know how we do things around here - and get a better grip of all the work involved in producing audio - we can start talking about the details of your own project.

Have fun on here!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome! We often find class projects to be very troublesome, especially when the teacher isn't familiar with how LV does things or with recording themselves. Here are some thoughts that come to mind:

1. If any of them are under 13, they need written parental permission.

2. They (and their parents) must know what "public domain" means - that anyone can take the recording of their (child's) voice and do ANYTHING with it that they want, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

2.5 From a very incomplete wiki page on the subject: Personal Information: It is recommended that those submitting recordings for children under 18 be careful about what information they give to be placed on the catalog. Leave out specific locations, full names, and other information you do not want to be broadcast to all of the internet.

3. We do not recommend that students be required to record. This leads to submissions by readers that don't care - and that translates into their reading.

4. Be sure the students submit corrected files if there are edits that need to be made. Often they drop the audio on us and disappear, and we end up with an unusable file.

I'm sure I'd come up with more thoughts, but there's a start. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
thowe

Post by thowe »

Got it! I finished the one-minute test already, and I've introduced the concept for the course thoroughly. They've also had training on the software. I think I'll set up a solo space for the compilation, and after the recordings are done and vetted, I'll upload them together.