New and anxious to get started!!!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
taylcc

Post by taylcc »

Hello all. My name is Cal and my main interest is history and found out about LibriVox from downloading a Civil War biography for my commute. I was looking for a volunteer opportunity and this fits my love of history and also theater. My company has a "Dollars for Doers " program where we can get $700/year for logging 40+ hours a year with the chance to get even more. I can't wait to get started but would like a recommendation for a good microphone in the hundred dollar range.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Welcome to LibriVox, Cal!

Good to have you with us! :)

We can't promise you dollars, we can't even promise you that participating in LibriVox qualifies for that program (you need to clarify that with your company), but we can promise you long ours of reading into the night, frustrating troubles with recording software and hardware, and occasional satisfaction from receiving a praise from our listeners... Along with that we promise to treat you with respect, to provide you assistance with what we can, related to our work, of course.

As far as microphones go, there are quite a few you should be able to use. Look for one that connects to your computer via USB. I have a Samson Go-Mic (my first) and a Blue Yeti (my second). Both are good and each was under a hundred dollars when I bought it (sales on Blue Yeti do happen occasionally). Audio-technica makes USB mics (along with regular ones). Blue also has several models (in addition to Yeti). There is a company called CAD, I think, worth checking out.

Don't rush into it, but don't put it off for too long. The sooner you can record, the sooner the fun begins, you know... :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
taylcc

Post by taylcc »

Thanks! Should have clarified that the "dollars" is for LibriVox through a company 501c3 donation through Internet Archives and not to me. I want to get rich but realize this isn't the way :D I only mention it for others to check if there company might have a similar program that might benefit LibriVox through donating or grants.

Any how, I guess I'm ready to go (after I get a decent microphone).