New volunteer from London, UK.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
NickJG

Post by NickJG » January 18th, 2017, 10:01 am

Hello everyone!

A little about myself: At present I am working as a teacher of English as a foreign language, and much of my teaching is online, using Skype. I also work as an academic proofreader. I am based in London, but my students are in various countries around the World. I also have experience as a DJ, having produced many music podcasts for my own music website. I teach Sociology as well as English. I enjoy reading a wide range of genres, and in particular I enjoy reading aloud. If I can do so – and help others in the process – I will be very pleased. I hope to get started soon; for now I am just familiarising myself with things here. I am also interested in communicating with other Librivox volunteers.

Nick JG.
Last edited by NickJG on January 18th, 2017, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » January 18th, 2017, 10:10 am

Welcome to LibriVox, Nick! I am also a teacher (I think there are many of us here :) ) Please holler if you have questions!
Kathrine

NickJG

Post by NickJG » January 18th, 2017, 10:20 am

Hello Kathrine, thanks for your reply. My next step is, I think, to make a 1-minute test recording, so I might be asking for some advice pretty soon!

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » January 18th, 2017, 10:21 am

:thumbs:
Kathrine

NickJG

Post by NickJG » January 19th, 2017, 7:09 am

Hello Kathrine,

I hope you can help me.

I want to make my first test recording and submit it. I have seen it suggested that a good place to start is "weekly poetry". Is this "weekly poetry" different to general requests for poems and short works to be read? Also, what about "fortnightly poetry", which I have also seen mention of - is that different?

Where can I find a list of requests for weekly poetry? I see there is a thread for the co-ordination of weekly poetry, but what I can't find there is a simple list of requests. Also I understand that I need to know who the BC is, so that I can submit my recording to them.

Perhaps I can just choose any poem - but then - who should I submit it to?

I'm fine (so far) with the techie side of things, it is just procedure that I'm a little baffled by at present.

All assistance welcome!

Regards, Nick.
Last edited by NickJG on January 19th, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickJG

Post by NickJG » January 19th, 2017, 8:10 am

Kathrine,

I have just encountered another difficulty.

When I click on the uploader link http://librivox.org/login/uploader it requests my username and password. If I enter these exactly as I do for this forum I get an incorrect login message.

Nick.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » January 20th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Hello Nick,

I think perhaps you have solved this problem (and I am sorry for not answering sooner). In order to upload, enter exactly what it says in the threads in the first post (i.e. not your username for librivox)
Good luck :thumbs:
Kathrine

Tarx

Post by Tarx » January 23rd, 2017, 7:16 am

Hi Nick
I'm also new at this and from London! I'm a music teacher from New Cross and am looking to recording some interesting and most likely rare poetry and books soon. I have noticed that there is quite a bit to take in to start with, in terms of process etc but hopefully I'll get used to it!
Good luck with your recordings!

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » January 23rd, 2017, 1:21 pm

Welcome, Tarx! Just holler if you need help, ok? :) I hope you enjoy it here!
Kathrine