I'm in... keep the car running and a lookout for the cops

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
bubbaspeare

Post by bubbaspeare » December 17th, 2016, 12:19 pm

I managed to screw up 'every' single stage of getting here. Couldn't find the narrator's name for the registration question. Clicked the wrong date of birth button and also spelt my username wrong. Then got flustered by the whole thing. The VERY understanding admin was extremely helpful. So hope they get recognition for that.

Wish me luck!

Bubba

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 17th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Well, you're in now! There will be some more flubs, I'm sure, but you'll settle in and figure things out. :)
Pulp crime fiction: The Yellow Claw
Sensational biography: Joaquin, the Claude Duval of California
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 25th, 2016, 11:50 am

Hey Bubba, you sound like a guy I could be friends with. Made most of those mistakes myself. But the important thing is that you kept trying and got here. Ask lots of questions; we use jargon here but most of it is understandable. I look forward to hearing your recordings in the future. Image

Whoops! I thing that's a cop coming round the corner .. get moving!!!
"I have a split personality" said Tom, being frank.
Warning! these tutorial videos may contain knowledge! https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

bubbaspeare

Post by bubbaspeare » December 26th, 2016, 4:30 am

Thanks for the encouragement philchenevert. Been spending a good amount of time reading through many pages here. Can't even remember how I stumbled across this site. What a great idea for posterity, and with it goes responsibility. To do a historical masterpiece justice is quite scary; whether a short poem or thousands of words. I'll continue to scan the LV web pages for something very short.

And... I was just telling 'Mickey the Hammer' - after we'd taken a break from drilling through 24 inches of reinforced concrete - how I was going to get to grips with this whole recording thing. If all goes to plan, I'll even have enough dough for a new microphone.

As I said, wish me luck

Bubba

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 26th, 2016, 9:03 am

Great Bubba. I recommend a little video I made called Getting To Know Our Forums http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be it has some info on our jargon and stuff. Oh, and tell The Hammer that he should change drill bits now and to take his medication. :roll:
"I have a split personality" said Tom, being frank.
Warning! these tutorial videos may contain knowledge! https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » December 26th, 2016, 9:16 am

HIP, HIP, Hazza !! for the Dancing Christmas Banana. Image

oh yes, welcome Bubba :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

tony123

Post by tony123 » December 26th, 2016, 11:16 am

Hi Bubba,

I wanted to let you know that I checked your test recording over in the microphone showdown:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=58691&p=1305604#p1305604

You did a great recording of the Shakespeare sonnet, and we will have to send the police after you to make you record for us!

When you're ready to submit your recording again, use "test" in the MC drop down menu instead of Ruthie G, and as Carol B indicated, post it in the Listeners and Editors wanted forum:

viewforum.php?f=21

Before you submit again, you need to change your recording from stereo to mono. Also you might as well reset your recording software for compression, noise cleaning, etc., so that we can now hear how your recording will sound when it's been processed. Your current recording is acceptable as it is except for it needing to be in monaural sound. In case you want to go back and check the info again for your 1-minute test, it's here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Instead of using slashes for your recording's filename, use underscores, like this: test_bubba_processedfile_monosound.

In case you would like to download the free C H E C K E R app, which shows you if your recording meets LibriVox standards, you can find info in that link I've given you. Find which version of Java you have, 32 bit or 64 bit, and download the corresponding version of Checker. Checker gives you various readings on the mp3 you export, including its volume.

I look forward to some great recordings from you! :D

bubbaspeare

Post by bubbaspeare » December 26th, 2016, 3:49 pm

philchenevert: Great, I'll look at the video, as soon as we've shaken off some folks on our tail.

aradlaw: Thanks for the welcome.

tony123: Thanks for all that helpful info too.