Post by tony123 »

Glad to have you joining us stacyiris! :D
Jacquerie

Post by Jacquerie »

Welcome! I hope you enjoy this wonderful endeavor as much as I have! :D
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Thank you Tony :)
Last edited by stacyiris on November 10th, 2016, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy Simon
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Tony such nice reads!!! :clap:

For me the 1 Minute test is an awesome
winding up this week.
Stacy Simon
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Hello and welcome

The tutorials are extremely helpful.
My challenge is recording with adequate volume/ GAIN
Yeti mic.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kayray/test_stacyiriss.mp3

:help:
Stacy Simon
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Hi Stacy,

You've got a pretty good recording, and you sound good!

There is some noise behind your voice that comes and goes, what I'll call a sort of shifting sound :) as if maybe you were moving around to get better adjusted while you were recording, or something of like nature. Listen for those sounds, and see if you think it might be something that you're able to watch out for and avoid while you're recording.

As far as adequate volume goes, in this recording you have plenty of room in your waveform window to raise your volume to the desired amount for LibriVox using Audacity's Amplify effect. Select Amplify from the Effect menu, and in the Amplification box, enter 3 as the amount to raise the gain by.

If you are asking how to record with a higher recording volume for your mic in future recordings, there are two sliding volume toobars with mic and speaker icons next to them that may allow you to adjust your volume. Try adjusting the one with the mic icon, and see if that works for you. I'll give you more info on volume if you need it after you post your revised recording for us in the Editors and Listeners Wanted forum.

I'm assuming you have Audacity for your recording software because The Checker app I use showed that you exported your mp3 with Lame, which Audacity uses for that.

Please post us a link to your revised recording with the volume raised by 3 dB in the Editors and Listeners Wanted forum, which you can find here:

viewforum.php?f=21

That's where all the 1 minute tests threads are posted. Open a new thread like you did here, and put 1 minute test Stacy Iriss in the subject box, or whatever you like to indicate that it's your test. You can add any information that you think might help us to help you. I'll copy and add this info to your new post in that thread, so that you'll have it for reference, and we'll continue from there.

Good luck to you Stacy, and welcome once again! :D
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Hello Tony,

Hope all is well. It has been awhile just an update,
I am working to complete a short read. More details soon.

:thumbs:

Thanks again

Stacyiris
tony123

Post by tony123 »

It looks like you're getting into a bit of acting! :clap:

Have fun Stacy!
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Thanks Tony

Working on it. :clap:

Stacy
Stacy Simon
stacyiris

Post by stacyiris »

Hi Tony,

Hope all is well.

It's been awhile getting familiar with the recording process. Thanks again for the direction.

I have completed a few reads. My biggest challenge is the background noise even with
a dedicated space.

We are working to update Audacity.

It is great fun volunteering. :clap:

Stacy Simon
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Hi Stacy,

Thank you so much for the update!

I'm getting ready to submit the next to last recording for my latest project, and I saw your update. I'm glad you're enjoying recording for LibriVox. If you're working on getting a later version of Audacity, that may help with your background noise because they keep improving on their noise reduction effect.

Most of us struggle to some extent with how to handle background noise. I know I do, since the alternative would be to purchase a home studio, which would cost more than I could afford.

Sometimes, I'll hear an airplane or a motorcycle approaching, and I'll simply wait until the sound recedes into the general noise and then take up the recording again. It's pretty easy to replace the recorded noise with some quieter noise when I go back to edit my recording.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the process and volunteering! With experience, you'll just keep getting better and better at it! :thumbs:

Best,

Tony Oliva