Signing up

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
LucyK

Post by LucyK » January 15th, 2016, 4:07 am

Hello,

I'm Lucy, I've just signed up to volunteer for Librivox as a reader. I'm British living in France and I've been listening to a number of Librivox recordings in the last year or two - I knit a lot, but regret the loss of reading time while doing so, I love classic literature and being read to, and enjoy discovering new things generally. I've often thought, I could do that...

My voice is a bit crackly but my reading skills are quite fluent and competent, I think. I've been a teacher, once of small children then of English as a second language. Now I've got more time on my hands. I have a husband and a blog, I used to have a dog but not at the moment.

I'm quite excited about doing this, I've just ordered a USB mic! Looking forward to making some friends here...

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » January 15th, 2016, 9:48 am

Welcome to Librivox, Lucy, we are glad to have you! I hope you have lots of fun here and find this to be a worthwhile activity :D Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. I am a fellow-knitter and I hear you about knitting while listening to audiobooks :thumbs:
Kathrine

JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour » January 15th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Another knitter and audiobook listener...well, at least for the easy parts :lol:
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM

LucyK

Post by LucyK » January 16th, 2016, 12:27 am

Thanks fellow knitters! Yes, Jennifer, can't really count and listen very well!

I've already seen a couple of 'Readers wanted' projects I think I'd like. I'm still a bit hesitant :? :roll: about using the software, but I'll watch some of the videos about Audacity till the mic comes then jump in.

JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour » January 16th, 2016, 4:34 am

The software/editing is a lot of the challenge for me but very satisfying when it works well. I suggest you read the threads for people posting their 1 minute tests in the listeners and editors wanted thread. The proof listeners explain how to improve the recording on a technology side. The same information gets repeated a lot but it will show you what do when you do your test.

(I am still doing this on a regular basis after a month and still learning lots.)
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM

LucyK

Post by LucyK » January 16th, 2016, 5:24 am

Thanks, that's helpful. Working with audio seems one of the less intuitive areas of computer technology, at least if you've no background in it. Just finding my way round the the site and the forums is still a bit slow, but I guess the best thing is just to start doing it. Practice and patience and careful following of directions, and not being afraid to ask, and I'll get there eventually. Sometimes reading too many instructions in advance makes things look even more difficult - rather like knitting patterns! Anyway, off to download Audacity... :)

Bloom

Post by Bloom » January 17th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Hi Lucy

I enjoyed reading your introduction. Out of interest what is your blog? I like the idea of you having a husband and a blog..it made me smile.

Best wishes to you over in France.

LucyK

Post by LucyK » January 17th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Thanks Bloom! :) I've happy memories of holidays in the Peaks with my parents when I was young.

My blog's at http://box-elder.blogspot.com/. I still post there fairly regularly though not as often as I did.

What are you looking forward to doing on Librivox?