New here... And why I want to help Librivox

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Klowdcooler

Post by Klowdcooler »

Hi, My username is Klowdcooler, and I have just joined Librivox. I've submitted my 1-min test and am waiting for approval. I can't wait to get started!

Here's a little information about me and why I wanted to join the team. First of all, I've always loved to read. I loved reading out loud to my children when they were younger and I am still an avid reader today. I am married and have three children ages 25, 21, and 16. Until May of this year, I was a sign language interpreter for over 30 years and I worked full-time.

In May I was diagnosed with a stage four brain tumor and had to quit my job. The doctors say I have 2 to 3 years to live. I'm now at home all day and needed something to do. I often don't feel well enough to go anywhere and needed an opportunity that I can do from home when I felt well enough. I looked on the Internet for volunteer opportunities and came across a micro-volunteering website. I looked over the various volunteering opportunities and felt that LibriVox would offer me the most fulfilling opportunity that interested me. One of the things that appeals to me about this project, is that I would be able to leave something of myself behind after I'm gone, for my family and friends to be able to read online whenever they miss me and want to hear my voice.

I look forward to participating in this project and hope that my contribution will be of value. If anyone has questions about my diagnosis, you can private message me.

Thanks,

Kathy H.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome to LibriVox, Kathy, we are glad to have you! I am very moved by your introduction - I hope, indeed, that LibriVox proves to be an enjoyable and meaningful activity for you. I see you are well on your way with the 1 minute test, and I'm looking forward to hearing you around! Please ask questions if you wonder about anything :thumbs:
Kathrine