Greetings and Salutations

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Myrnnyx

Post by Myrnnyx »

I cannot stress strongly enough how much the world needs things like audio books, especially of the older material.

Too often in today's rush-rush world, we forget that our minds need to grow. Books are, truely, the best way to make that happen. But who has time to read anymore? For most, and audiobook works wonderfully.

Listen in the car, on the plane, at work (if permitted), or even lying in bed waiting to fall asleep. What's better, here is a project for taking some of the great works of art, along with some of the lessor known titles, set to audio for a whole new generation of iTunes fanatics to enjoy.

Plus, audio books are great for children. I myself learned to read by listening to an audiobook while reading along.

I hope that I can help in some small way to bring the printed word to todays, and tomorrow's, youth. (plus everyone else, of course) :D
-Amalor Myrnnyx
RPGSheets
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Amalor,

Welcome to LibriVox! You'll find that we're all as passionate about audiobooks as you are.

There are lots of things you can do to help! One area we always need help with is Proof-listening. See the "Listeners and Editors Wanted" area, and read the "read this first" sticky at the top for some guidelines. Generally, we ask that proof-listeners just listen for easily-editable mistakes such as very long pauses, repeated sentences (that were meant to be edited out) or obvious technical difficulties such as very low volume. No need to listen along with the text or mark down every little stumble. :)

Or, if you want to do some recording you might start with the Weekly Poetry Project over in the Short Works section. You'll get fast feedback on your recording setup (and help fixing any hums or buzzes) and be in the catalog within a week. It's a nice way to get started recording.

Most of all, have fun here and don't be shy about asking questions!

P.S. I agree about the value of audiobooks for children. My 11-year old has been listening to audiobooks (both professional and mom-made) all his life!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome Amalor,

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi, great to have you! I look forward to hearing your voice soon. :)

Your enthusiasm is so apparent, it'll be no time before you're a recording addict like the rest of us. ;)

-Catharine
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

Yes, welcome! Enjoy yourself!
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
Cori

Post by Cori »

Lovely to have you joining us, Amalor! Do you have your eye on any particular books or texts..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!