recording

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
neilkh

Post by neilkh »

Hi

I'm new to librivox (joined last week) and have now recorded a short piece- the first number of Joseph Addison's Spectator- and converted it into MP3. It's not perfect, and technically may be lacking some finesse- for instance, I think it might be a little on the quiet side. Is it possible to send it to someone to see what they think? It's about 8MB.

Cheers,

Neil.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Welcome, Neil!

You can start a new topic in the Listeners & Editors Wanted. Read the sticky before posting.
I guess what you're looking for is for some constructive criticism. In your request, specify what you want the listener to comment on (only the volume, repeats, intonations or whatever).

If it's a short story (haven't had time to check gutenberg.org's text) and you're not planning to read the whole book, you might like to submit it for the Short Story Collection.

Oh! And you can send your recording via mediafire.com or yousendit.com or gigasize.com .

Cheers,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
neilkh

Post by neilkh »

Hi

Thanks for the really quick reply. It's not at Gutenberg, but it is public domain and the version I used is at:

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/fowlerjh/chap6.htm

Cheers,

Neil.
Ted

Post by Ted »

[quote="neilkh"]Hi

I'm new to librivox (joined last week) and have now recorded a short piece- the first number of Joseph Addison's Spectator- and converted it into MP3. It's not perfect, and technically may be lacking some finesse- for instance, I think it might be a little on the quiet side. Is it possible to send it to someone to see what they think? It's about 8MB.

Cheers,

Neil.[/quote]
Ted Nugent
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome, Neil

Have fun here :)
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you hear, Neil. Let us know if there are any problems starting a Constructive Crit topic ... it might be worth posting a bit about your setup, too -- the software you're recording with -- because people might be able to make good suggestions about improving the settings based on what they hear and their own experience.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

neilkh wrote:... It's not at Gutenberg, but it is public domain and the version I used is at:

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/fowlerjh/chap6.htm
Hi Neil,

I compared your link's version and Gutenberg's. The one you used has this:
He does not lavish at a blaze his fire,
Sudden to glare, and in a smoke expire;
But rises from a cloud of smoke to light,
And pours his specious miracles to sight —FRANCIS.
which the other doesn't. And I don't know where they got the title (The Spectator's Account Of Himself) from.

To make things easier (no copyright status hunt unless a PD guru wants to check it), could you just skip Franklin's citation and use this: The Spectator No 1, March 1, 1711 as the title. That would be great.

Cheers,
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

neilkh

Post by neilkh »

Will do.

I've also recorded, as an exercise, Alexander Pope's epistle to Arbuthnot, and would likewise welcome suggestions.

Cheers,

Neil.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Any e-text link? Do you know which book it's from? Or was is published on its own?
Ezwa

Boileau

neilkh

Post by neilkh »

The e-text for the Pope's epistle to arbuthnot is at gutenberg, part of the Poetical Works of Alexander Pope vol. 1.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/7pop110.txt

I'll send it to a server as soon as I work out how to do that.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi, Neil.

If you just want criticism on your recording, you should post in Listeners & Editors Wanted. There's a sticky on top of the forum which gives information. Specify what kind of criticism you'd like to have.

If you want to do it as a solo project, you should start a new thread in going solo for your project. Read the announcement on top before posting so that you know what to do.
I'm not sure it would fit in one of the short works collections.

To send files, many of us use mediafire.com , yousendit.com or gigasize.com (more info here).

Cheers,
Ezwa

Boileau