This is new volunteer, Charchigne, saying "Hello".

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Charchigne

Post by Charchigne » November 6th, 2014, 8:07 am

Hello. I am Janet Gifford, a 50 year-old civil servant from the northwest of England. My user name is Charchigne, which is a very small town in France where I lived for 17 years.

I have been a passionate reader since the age of about three. A couple of years ago, I started to lose my eyesight. This is due to a "perfect storm" of three untreatable retinal conditions, which mean that I will eventually go blind. Because of that, I have started to amass audio-books and music, ready for when I can no longer read at all. I discovered Librivox while using the search term "free audio-books" on the internet.

I now have trouble reading paper books, so I tend to download kindle versions of everything, and enlarge the font until I can read it perfectly. Hopefully, I will be able to do this for a couple more years. Earlier this year, however, someone downloaded all the Dostoevsky & Tolstoy novels on Librivox for me. I took my MP3 player to work, and I've had immense enjoyment from listening to the whole lot at my desk.

When I can no longer see at all, I will be spending a lot of time listening to Librivox recordings. Until then, I would like to say "Thank-you" to the Librivox community in advance, by volunteering for as long as I can still read properly myself.

heeheekitty

Post by heeheekitty » November 6th, 2014, 10:41 am

Hello Charchigne!

I just dicovered a possibility to write in a big font, I hope it is helpful and not annoying!

I am a newbie too, i just registered yesterday, so I'm not sure if I have any "right" to already welcome people myself ;) but let me tell you, everyone has been amazingly nice and helpful! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun here!

All the best, Tina
Tina

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 7th, 2014, 2:53 am

hi janet, welcome to librivox!

i am glad you are joining us :) the best way to get started is to complete the one minute test. this is not an audition, but we need our recordings in a certain format, and it is easier to make sure you have the right sample rate, bit rate and volume etc. before you get started on a "real" chapter.

please feel right at home here at librivox and let us know if you run into any problems :D
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!