New person introduction

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
DiedTwice

Post by DiedTwice »

Hello, My name is Paul "Died Twice". I joined LibriVox after searching for Native American/First Nation stories on audiobooks. I would very much be interested in narrating books that deal with authentic Native American/First Nation. I am brand new and unfamiliar with the process but will be reading the forums to educate myself, they are usually full of good information.

Does anyone know if anyone else is concentrating on this subject?

By the way, I am from NW Washington, basically live in the country, Navy Veteran and volunteer at the Department of Corrections as a Native American and Veteran Sponsor.

Glad to be here and look forward to working.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi :) Welcome to our community of book lovers. I can't tell you if there's any project open right now concentrating on the stories or experience of Native Americans, but you can always try and enrich our catalogue if you have something interesting in mind.

Before you start reading, though, we strongly advise you submit what we call 1-minute test which will enable us to tell you if your set-up is configured correctly for LibriVox needs (there are some formal technical standards we have to adhere to). You can find more about the test in our Wiki (link at the top of the page). Other source of info which you may find useful (beside the forum and the wiki) is Phil's videos, which you can find in the "Need Help? Get Advice?" section.

We advise that new readers start with short pieces, which will help them figure out the way we do things here. You can easily check if a project is in need of a reader. Go to any section whose name starts with "Readers Wanted" and in any of the threads there (each stands for a different project) you will find what we call "Magic Window" in the 1st message. That's where the current state of recording can be checked- if there's a slot left to fill you see it there and then can ask to have that section for you by posting a message.

If you would like to proof-listen i.e listen to newly-submitted sections for technical problems, search for projects with ~ in front of the titles (preferably in the Launch Pad section or in the Listeners Wanted). These are projects in need of a proof-listener. It's a good first step, because it shows you what is expected of a reader. Also, I'd recommend it if you already like listening to audiobooks ;)

Have fun :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Welcome to LibriVox, Paul! We're glad to have you! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Howdy!
I just joined librivox today and plan to start narrating soon.
I've read nearly all of the newbie instructions on the wiki.
Next I will be testing my mic in various places, probably building one if those Harlan hogan type mic boxes. And start playing with audacity.
I'm 25, live in st paul MN, so there will be some good o's to make fun of me for ;)
I am totally new to this, in fact I haven't even read an audio book before! Yikes! That's newbie for ya. I do listen to a lot of MPR and Garrison Kielor (check out GK if you haven't heard the show before)
Any suggestions on what I should listen to first?
DiedTwice

Post by DiedTwice »

Thanks for the great welcome and awesome advice. I will go and follow the instructions, I am sure you all know the best way to start. Regarding the shorter recordings, that's where the Native/1st Nation stories are a HUGE advantage. Most of them are a collection of stories as short as a paragraph and some as long as 5 pages.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

@Rewan
Hi :) Read the message I wrote to Paul "Died Twice". You should find all the important first-time reader info there :)

@DiedTwice
Well, in that case you can submit those stories (after having passed the initial recording, ofc) to one of our short story collections you can find in the "Short Works" section. That would be a good start because that way you would be able to learn about editing and our procedures which would give you the necessary skillset if you would like to branch into a solo recording. :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS