Found a link to LibriVox in my city library's website

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

Hi LibriVox Members,

Newbie here.

Wonderful site; I found your link in my city library's website.

After reading your guides, I d/l Audacity and did a trial run with "Cinderella", which I located from The Baldwin Project. I found The Baldwin Project through a link from somewhere in LibriVox, I believe, (I'm a little lost right now, but I bookmarked The Baldwin Project http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displayarticle.php?article=feature ). My little one liked the read; I found it a bit too fast but not bad considering it was my first read.

This is way too fun, and, on a lower note, my eyesight is lacking, big-time. Thanks to Hugh McGuire for creating LibriVox.

I am going to look around the forum and see if there is any present requests for Children's (3 to 5 yr old) stories to be read.

If not, I would love to see or even help a book coordinator start a project.

soundchest
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Welcome! Join in!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
fae

Post by fae »

That wonderful soundchest!

Why not submit your recording to our short stories collection? And have another look at the book suggestions forum, you will find some information on Children's Lit sources there.

Glad to hear you are already having fun, so just keep it up!
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

fae wrote: Why not submit your recording to our short stories collection?
Sorry, my first read was "Cinderella". It doesn't seem like it would fit in the present short stories collection. I don't believe any of the entries are for pre-school children. I noticed "The Yellow Wallpaper" was in. This short has been compared to Edgar Allan Poe's tales.

Noticing also that a horror short collection is in process, I submitted a request to read for it. Not "The Yellow Wallpaper", of course, since it is already being done in the short stories collection.

Thank you very much for the welcome, and yes, this should be fun!

soundchest
kri

Post by kri »

soundchest wrote:
fae wrote: Why not submit your recording to our short stories collection?
Sorry, my first read was "Cinderella". It doesn't seem like it would fit in the present short stories collection. I don't believe any of the entries are for pre-school children. I noticed "The Yellow Wallpaper" was in. This short has been compared to Edgar Allan Poe's tales.

Noticing also that a horror short collection is in process, I submitted a request to read for it. Not "The Yellow Wallpaper", of course, since it is already being done in the short stories collection.

Thank you very much for the welcome, and yes, this should be fun!

soundchest
Teh Short Story Collection is for short stories. There are no genre or subject guidelines. People submitt their readings of short stories, when the collection reaches 10 stories, it is cataloged. This is so that we can have a steady stream of short stories going into the catalog, without having to catalog each individually. If you wait until your reading "fits" into a short story collection, you may be waiting for a very long time :)

Welcome to LibriVox!
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

kri wrote:The Short Story Collection is for short stories. There are no genre or subject guidelines. People submitt their readings of short stories, when the collection reaches 10 stories, it is cataloged. This is so that we can have a steady stream of short stories going into the catalog, without having to catalog each individually. If you wait until your reading "fits" into a short story collection, you may be waiting for a very long time :)

Welcome to LibriVox!
Thanks again.

Okay, I get it.

I will edit and submit with the next collection, along with one or two other pre-school short stories.

Question now. If I'm looking for pre-school short stories to download do I have to search in each short story collection, or can I just search under childrens? Sorry if this sounds dumb.
kri

Post by kri »

soundchest wrote:
kri wrote:The Short Story Collection is for short stories. There are no genre or subject guidelines. People submitt their readings of short stories, when the collection reaches 10 stories, it is cataloged. This is so that we can have a steady stream of short stories going into the catalog, without having to catalog each individually. If you wait until your reading "fits" into a short story collection, you may be waiting for a very long time :)

Welcome to LibriVox!
Thanks again.

Okay, I get it.

I will edit and submit with the next collection, along with one or two other pre-school short stories.

Question now. If I'm looking for pre-school short stories to download do I have to search in each short story collection, or can I just search under childrens? Sorry if this sounds dumb.
Not a dumb question. I don't think that we put genres on the already cataloged Short Story collections, so you probably won't find any short stories under Childrens. However, that's a good point and I'll make note of it so eventually we can add the genres to the short story collections too.
fae

Post by fae »

Also a nice idea to have a Children's Short Story collection, for pre-schoolers. Maybe we could think about that :)
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

fae wrote:Also a nice idea to have a Children's Short Story collection, for pre-schoolers. Maybe we could think about that :)
It could be alot of fun for them and us. I hope you do it!

I have since found you already are, in the books section!
Last edited by soundchest on January 18th, 2007, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Really good to have you hear, soundchest!

I've been umming and erring about a Children's Short Story Collection for ages, having already recorded (but not edited) an Edward Lear story which I think would fit ... oh, and wordplay would be up for it too (that's another reader here.)

My hitches were, a) never having organised a project here before, b) not being sure about how to decide what age a story is suitable for, and what time length would be a good limit, and c) being a bit of a lazy soul. :lol:

You might also like to have a look at the The LILAC Fairy Book and the West African Folk Tales ... both of which are children's lit, containing collections of short stories. As stories are completed there, you would be able to 'proof-listen' too (see this thread for more info about that) and I reckon it'd be particularly interesting to know what your little 'un made of it (filtered through the 'appropriateness' filter, since I don't 'talk funny', I have a Proper Accent. ;) )

Mainly, though, continue having too much fun! It's what we're all here for!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

Cori wrote:... You might also like to have a look at the The LILAC Fairy Book ... children's lit, containing collections of short stories. As stories are completed there, you would be able to 'proof-listen' too (see this thread for more info about that) and I reckon it'd be particularly interesting to know what your little 'un made of it (filtered through the 'appropriateness' filter, since I don't 'talk funny', I have a Proper Accent. ;) )
Okay, you've got me working now. Thank you Cori!
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

kayray wrote:Hey, your little one might like ...
Thank you kayray; you are a sweetheart!

She is asleep now, but tomorrow will be nice for us.

Right now, I want to go record a short story, I mean a section of a fairy book. I haven't been accepted yet but wish to practice anyway.

Thanks again,

soundchest
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh, goodness, there's no waiting to be "accepted" around here :) Record a short story and post it to the short story collection! Ask for some feedback, and someone will take a listen and make sure you don't have any technical difficulties -- too-soft volume and/or loud background noise are the newbie's biggest problem, usually :) If you have any troubles we'll help you straighten them out, adn then you're off like a rocket!

Once you've hung around for a while and learned the ropes, you might like to coordinate a collection of short stories for children. You could pre-select a bunch and let people sign up, or you could make it more open, and collect 20 or so random stories. :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

Cori wrote:You might also like to have a look at ... and the West African Folk Tales ... children's lit, containing collections of short stories.
Oh my, I love Adzanumee and her Mother. What a beautiful story. I made a request again.