Newbie - Holly McGuire

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

I’m an Adult Continuing Studies Student at the University of Tampa, in Tampa, FL. Spring 2014 is my final term before graduating with a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. After graduation, I am pursuing a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.

For one of my final classes, I wanted to do a specialized study project involving recording a book in public domain for LibriVox.org.

At UT, this type of course is referred to as an “Independent Study.” During a previous semester, I took a class involving Oral Presentation of Literature with Dr. Robert Gonzalez, Assistant Professor of Speech and Theatre, at the University of Tampa. Dr. Gonzalez (BobGon55) is an avid LibriVox member and contributor.

Naturally, I approached Dr. Gonzalez with the idea of supervising this project to help improve my skills in spoken word. He immediately stepped up and agreed to mentor me through this project.

I must confess that this project isn’t only for a grade or completely altruistic purposes, as I said, I am a writer and therefore would like hone the skills and knowledge required to record my own books in Audio format.

I would be honored to be a reader, contribute to LibriVox.org and work closely with its members now and in future.

Holly
Last edited by HollyMcGuire on January 24th, 2014, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Welcome to LibriVox, Holly! We're glad to have you! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Thank you so much! Looking forward to the challenge.
carolb

Post by carolb »

Ah, Dr Gonzales - we know him well!

At the beginning of your message when you mentioned where you are studying I immediately thought,
'I wonder if Holly knows Bob.' How lovely that he will be mentoring you :9:

Welcome,Holly.

Have fun :wink:

Carol
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Welcome to LibriVox, Holly! I'm sure you will do wonderfully here.

Thanks, Hobbit and Carol for welcoming Holly to LibriVox, too!

Bob :D
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

G'day Holly

Like my friend Carol, I have a passing acquaintance with Professor Gonzalez, and am happy to join with her in welcoming you to Librivox.

I have some familiarity with Richard le Gallienne, having recorded two versions of his "translation" of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. If you have not already heard the man in person, you may be interested in the following YouTube video:
ww.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHWU3MI_V4

All the best for your solo.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hi All,
Thanks again for the warm welcomes!

Algy,
I was just able to listen to the youtube link to Richard Le Gallienne's recording you posted for me. It's wonderful to hear the author of my project speak. It certainly helps in character voice development. I intend to listen to this recording a great deal as I prep for my recording.
Thank you,
Holly
ewmetzler

Post by ewmetzler »

Great that a college student can read for LV, and what a cool independent study project. There is so much one could read, have fun choosing (or writing!)
Eric W. Metzler
Albuquerque, USA