T.S.Eliot: The Hollow Men

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
msalias

Post by msalias »

Hello, everyone.

First time here and glad to have found you.

I'd like to read T.S.Eliot's The Hollow Men in English and maybe in Spanish (my own translation, done soooo many years ago).

If someone wnats to guide me, I have other things I'd like to read, in a group if someone else like the idea, or solo over a longer period:

- The Divine Comedy (in English and Florentin-Italian)
- Don Quixote (in Spanish)
- Anything else that raises my temperature 8-)

Regards,
Mart?n Sal?as - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Political affiliation: Groucho Marxist
kayray

Post by kayray »

Welcome to librivox, Martin!

(I've moved your post from "Weekly Poetry" to our "Introduce Yourself" thread)

Before you start a solo project, it's a good idea to warm up by reading a poem or two, or a chapter from a group project. I hope you'll claim a chapter of something to read for us! Let us know if you have any questions.

Happy reading,

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Hi Martin,

Eliot's The Hollow Men was written in 1925 and is thus unfortunately not in the public domain. Any pre-1923 poems by Eliot would probably be appropriate in the short poetry thread of readers wanted. The Waste Land is is long enough to be its own work and I'm planning on doing it as a solo project, but that doesn't mean you can't do it too!

The Divine Comedy and Don Quixote are both on the suggested list in the next books forum. After you've gotten a bit more experience, you're welcome to tackle either as a solo project or to coordinate.

As for other language recordings, they'll need to be in the public domain and I'm not completely clear on how that works in other countries and with other languages, Gesine is our foreign language expert.

And I think translations done by readers are probably not best for LibriVox, as our mission is to record works in the public domain and not works of our own creation.

Okay, I think I got it all, we're glad to have you here and so eager to be involved!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
msalias

Post by msalias »

Hi, Annie.
LibraryLady wrote:Eliot's The Hollow Men was written in 1925 and is thus unfortunately not in the public domain. Any pre-1923 poems by Eliot would probably be appropriate in the short poetry thread of readers wanted. The Waste Land is is long enough to be its own work and I'm planning on doing it as a solo project, but that doesn't mean you can't do it too!

The Divine Comedy and Don Quixote are both on the suggested list in the next books forum. After you've gotten a bit more experience, you're welcome to tackle either as a solo project or to coordinate.

As for other language recordings, they'll need to be in the public domain and I'm not completely clear on how that works in other countries and with other languages, Gesine is our foreign language expert.

And I think translations done by readers are probably not best for LibriVox, as our mission is to record works in the public domain and not works of our own creation.

Okay, I think I got it all, we're glad to have you here and so eager to be involved!
Clear as water, my Lady. I guess my tastes span enough centuries to the past as to avoid most right problems. I'll look forward to enjoy your version of The Wasteland, and I can wait a couple years for the Hollow Men, whose rights would expire not with a bang, but a whimper...

In the meantime, I'll do some of the first Cantos of the Divine Comedy in Italian, and also the Quixote in Spanish. As for the English, what about John Donne's?

Please accept my best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Mart?n Sal?as - Buenos Aires - Argentina
Political affiliation: Groucho Marxist
Jon Ingram

Post by Jon Ingram »

More than a couple of years, sadly.

Nothing new will enter the public domain in the US for at least another 13 years... and given their record of continual copyright extensions, there's a good chance that nothing after 1922 will ever become public domain in the US.

Outside the US, public domain is based on the death year of the author, which is 1965 in this case. In life+50 countries, like Canada, all his work will become public domain on Jan 1st 2016. If life+70 countries like the UK, it will remain copy restricted until 2036.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm planning on putting John Donne's poem "Song" on the weekly poem page some time soon.