Hi from Sydney Australia

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Frazm

Post by Frazm »

Hello world,
This is my first time, so be kind.
I am an unemployed actor who used to read to his family each evening, but now they are all too old for stories and would rather game online and eat pizza. That was my last regular gig.
So hopefully I can help out with a few readings.
Keep up the good work Librivoxpopuli..j
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Hello, Frazm! We welcome you to LibriVox. We're always glad to see new volunteers!

Before you start recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to this wiki page to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and how to upload the recording. In the LibriVox Uploader, please select 'tests - tests' from the MC drop-down, and then post your test recording in the Listeners Wanted forum.

If you don't want to record, you can proof listen (PL)! Proof-listening is the process of listening to a recording in order to catch recording mistakes, and verify that the file meets the technical requirements. All recordings are "prooflistened" to catch repeats, big stumbles or long pauses. A Proof-Listener is the volunteer who does the proof-listening, and will report back any errors in the file. Please visit Guide For Proof Listeners for more information. We're always looking for more Proof-Listeners!

We hope you have a positive experience here at LibriVox. Please ask if you have any questions at all!
:wink:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello, Frazm :) Welcome to our community of book lovers.
It's great that you have an acting experience :) I'm sure it's going to help you a lot.

Here's the link to the 1-minute-test wikipage that Sarah mentioned. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test Please notice that you'll find there the tech specification that we want all the files to have.
Do you have a preferred piece of recording/editing software? Most people here use the free Audacity, and you'll find lots of advice and suggestions regarding that particular programme. My favourite learning materials are Phil's videos, some of which can be found in this part of the forum in the "Some cool videos to get you started" thread. Of course, you are always welcome to browse forum and post questions if you have any problems and doubts.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Welcome to LibriVox! We're glad to have you! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Greetings and welcome, Frazm!

~ Chessie Joy
~ Chessie Joy
Frazm

Post by Frazm »

Thank you very much for all your kind words.
I've posted my 1 min test and I'm now trawling the forums and gutenberg looking for something.
Cheero...frazm
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

G'day
Well we are expected to say that :D
It's best to read something in a group project first up - lets you shake down any problems and get an idea of what the requirements are and how long it takes - and what you enjoy reading
Remember when you are looking around that LibriVox is based on USA PD rules - published before 1923 in general and ours are based on authors death dates so that not everything on Australian sites can be read for LibriVox. If you have doubts ask before starting - it is safer that way
Have fun

Anne
Frazm

Post by Frazm »

Hi Anne,
Thanks for the advice...I'll look through the forums for a group and start there....Frazm