H-E-L-P! [OK]

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Hi. I'm another neophyte @ LibriVox and am looking for a bit of help. I've twice recorded and uploaded my 1-minute test -- OR SO I THOUGHT. I've never received a response, and when I click on View your posts I come up empty. So I must have missed a step or two. As helpful as the instructional videos are, I guess I would prefer to follow a written, numbered, step-by-step how-to list. Does anyone know of such an animal, and, if not, would someone care to post one? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks. --Lee (alias leesma)
Eschew obfuscation.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Have you copied the link generated by the uploader and posted the link on the forum (preferably in the Listeners and Editors Wanted section)? The progress bar that is supposed to show the upload progress in the Uploader is broken and it doesn't move until the file is fully uploaded. When the upload is completed a link appears that you need to copy.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_to_Send_Your_Recording

By the way, welcome to LV :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I created the URL, copied, pasted, and uploaded it to the link you mentioned. Must have missed something, so I'm willing and eager to start over again if I could just receive and follow a how-to!
Eschew obfuscation.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Lee san,

Welcome to LibriVox. I hope you enjoy it here.
You forgot 2 things.
1) Please introduce yourself.
This is now done.
2) Let us know the URL which you received when you uploaded a file.
Please post it at Listeners & Readers wanted.

If your file is test_leesma.mp3, the technical specs are OK.
Another one will listen to it, after you post your URL.

Cheers,
Masa
Cori

Post by Cori »

Ah, I can see your file, Lee. :D

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_leesma.mp3

The uploader doesn't do any automagical notifications or postings ... it just gives you a URL which needs to be pasted somewhere here in the forum to announce the file's arrival. In a book thread, if you're contributing to a collaborative (having first asked for the chapter), or in a Short Works collection (where you don't need to ask in advance. But check the instructions in the first post of any topic, to see what is required.)

Let me have a listen and I'll get right back to you with feedback.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Lovely to hear you! Great volume (not too quiet, not too loud), all the technical settings are correct so that archive.org can derive other file formats from our MP3s ... you're all ready to go here. :D

One thought, you've not left any room-quiet at the end of the recording, so I can't really tell about your background noise levels. It isn't distracting, so you don't have to do anything else. But if you wanted to experiment with a little bit of polish, you could either have a look at one of Phil's Noise Removal videos and try it for yourself (they are all using Audacity, the most commonly used software here) ... or you could post a new sample, including some speech and a few seconds of quiet with no breaths, over in the Need Help forum, and you'll be able to get opinions on what could improve any noise that you do have.

Please do just ask if you have any questions; hang in there with the LibriVox process, it'll become familiar in no time. And have fun here!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Thanks to my helpful friends from Poland and Japan. Your encouragement worked, and I think I really uploaded the test this time. Maybe you could give me a listen?
Eschew obfuscation.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Leesma wrote:Hi. I'm another neophyte @ LibriVox and am looking for a bit of help. I've twice recorded and uploaded my 1-minute test -- OR SO I THOUGHT. I've never received a response, and when I click on View your posts I come up empty. So I must have missed a step or two. As helpful as the instructional videos are, I guess I would prefer to follow a written, numbered, step-by-step how-to list. Does anyone know of such an animal, and, if not, would someone care to post one? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks. --Lee (alias leesma)
Welcome, Leesma! :clap: We're always glad to see new members!! :thumbs: