New volunteer

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jolieodell

Post by jolieodell »

Hey folks!

I'm pretty experienced in doing online video/audio projects, but new to LibriVox! I've been enjoying the audiobooks from this project for a few months now, and I'm excited about starting to give back to something that's been so beneficial in my own life.

To start at the beginning, I suffer from terrible insomnia; my mother, who also used to suffer sleepless nights, recommended I ask my husband to read aloud to me at night. Her husband does the same for her, and she now sleeps like a baby.

Sadly, though, my husband is criminally bad at reading aloud. He tends to mumble rapidly in a billion-decibel monotone. It's the least expressive and least restful thing you've ever heard. So I turned to LibriVox for my bedtime stories. Now, I listen to classic books from my childhood -- Little Women, Emma, anything gentle and not too dramatic -- and I am pleased to report that I sleep more soundly than ever before in my life.

After being reminded at the start of each new chapter that the books are read by volunteers, I decided I should try to volunteer, myself. I've been passionate about classic literature all my life and dearly love to read aloud. I've also got killer recording equipment from my career in Internet journalism; we record a lot of audio/video from the home studio.

To all the old hands, I've loved hearing your voices and hope to be able to add my own soon!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Hi Jolie, and welcome!

It's great that you have joined us, and your wealth of experience gives you a head start :)
However, please submit a one minute test - not an audition, but just to ensure the tech specs are the ones required here.
Your welcome e-mail contains links to the wiki and Phil's videos, giving plenty of LibriVox information.
Somewhere in our catalogue there's at least one *Insomnia Collection*... have you come across it yet?

Have fun :wink:

Carol
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have many testimonials from people I have sent off to sleep with my recordings :lol: . Highly successful insomnia cure. Unfortunately I also do it to myself when proof-listening my own recordings...

But you made me laugh out loud about your husband's readings. Some people's talents do lie in other directions. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
jolieodell

Post by jolieodell »

Thanks so much, Carol! I actually did just submit my one-minute test, and I recorded a couple chapters of a really interesting book, but waiting to submit them pending editing/audio quality suggestions for the test.

As for the Insomnia Collection - I have got to look that up!! Thanks for the tip!
carolb wrote:Hi Jolie, and welcome!

It's great that you have joined us, and your wealth of experience gives you a head start :)
However, please submit a one minute test - not an audition, but just to ensure the tech specs are the ones required here.
Your welcome e-mail contains links to the wiki and Phil's videos, giving plenty of LibriVox information.
Somewhere in our catalogue there's at least one *Insomnia Collection*... have you come across it yet?

Have fun :wink:

Carol