SOME COOL TUTORIAL VIDEOS TO GET YOU STARTED

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
CatherineEvans

Post by CatherineEvans »

Review videos. Phil is great. I am just not computer wise. Taking a break. Feel like I spent excessive amount of money to become a Vo Actor but completed course no results other than being supprised I needed a home studio. Really have not marketed myself and it seems to learn more librivox is the place. But i cannot even get the test correct. Seems like you have to join every VO company ie VO Exras, Voice 1,2,3, to get a job at some fee. Courses cost from 49-up to continue training.
Well guess that's enough of my issues. It is up to me and alone to make this work. Computer skills or not that is my problem. Will resubmit test 3rd test demo at a later time.
Merry Christma to All.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm sorry this is taking time, Catherine. Once you have the skills, you'll never lose them. It can be hard-going to start with, though. It's just a thought, but I'd recommend not spending any more right now. Work with what you've got. A lot can be learned here, and I think it's better to take courses once you know what needs particular help.

I'd highly recommend avoiding the for-fee VO companies until you've worked through some recordings here, and are comfortable with the various technical requirements. The jobs available there will have specific formatting requests, so there's little point in signing up until that's all second nature to you. I'd also recommend having a look at some of the discussions of those sites elsewhere online. There's such high competition on some of them that the rate of return doesn't always cover the cost of signing up. Others have little competition -- because they have very few jobs available (but hide that fact until after you've paid, of course.) It's good to know what's got a good reputation and what seems a bit fly-by-night. You'll also want to target your searching, so that's a way to find out what kind of jobs are on what sites.

Finally, for VO work in general, you're likely to be putting in a dozen or more auditions for each job you land. It's tough! Not to discourage you, just worth bearing in mind as you go through this. That's why LibriVox is such a great place ... no auditions, record some seriously fabulous literature, get supportive feedback (if you ask for it.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
smokie

Post by smokie »

Hiya Phil,
Just watched your vids and had to issue this serious and grateful thank you. But I get here and discover that not only am I not original, I'm not even the best writer here. So here's another for the pile.

Seriously appreciate your time and efforts.
Smokie
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

smokie wrote:Hiya Phil,
Just watched your vids and had to issue this serious and grateful thank you. But I get here and discover that not only am I not original, I'm not even the best writer here. So here's another for the pile.

Seriously appreciate your time and efforts.
Smokie
Hey Smokie! great name and you eloquence is fabulous. Thanks for your gratitude. Let me know if there is another part of LibriVox that might use a video .... i am always looking for reasons to have fun. Keep asking questions too .. Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
aminminou

Post by aminminou »

:9: Thank you my Sir Phil. Lord makes young and intellectual.
we learn from the past.we forgive for every sad moments.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

aminminou wrote: :9: Thank you my Sir Phil. Lord makes young and intellectual.
Image Thank you and Lord makes you young and intellectual too!!! :D
Myhriah

Post by Myhriah »

Hey Phil,
Thank you so much for your videos. I definitely like having as much information as I can get before starting a project, and your videos have been quite helpful. I will say that this need for info can be paralyzing, so I am starting by watching a video and doing what it says. Hopefully, that will help me get going.
Thank you again for sharing all your knowledge!!
Myhriah Young
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Myhriah wrote:Hey Phil,
Thank you so much for your videos. I definitely like having as much information as I can get before starting a project, and your videos have been quite helpful. I will say that this need for info can be paralyzing, so I am starting by watching a video and doing what it says. Hopefully, that will help me get going.
Thank you again for sharing all your knowledge!!
Myhriah Young
Image you have made me even a happier guy Myhriah ! Thanks for the feedback. Remember how you eat an elephant: one bite at a time. Just be patient with yourself and ask lots of questions.
HarlemPants

Post by HarlemPants »

Very helpful, thanks so much for making these videos!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

HarlemPants wrote:Very helpful, thanks so much for making these videos!
Which ones, Harlem Pants? I mean which videos? But you are most welcome and I hope they smooth your way into a lot of recording! Let me know if anything is unclear or needs a video Image
Heloisa

Post by Heloisa »

Very helpful topic.

One more thing... Is there a topic for post the "one minute test"? I'm new here and don't know where post it (it's already recorded and uploaded).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Heloisa wrote:Very helpful topic.

One more thing... Is there a topic for post the "one minute test"? I'm new here and don't know where post it (it's already recorded and uploaded).
Go to the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum. Quick link here: viewforum.php?f=21
:)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Heloisa

Post by Heloisa »

Thank you.
REP01

Post by REP01 »

i am having problems downloading a lame thingy onto my computer so i can make mp3 files and stuff like that, so if anyone has any suggestions they will be very welcome (is their a video tutorial for how to install Lame?)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

REP01 wrote:i am having problems downloading a lame thingy onto my computer so i can make mp3 files and stuff like that, so if anyone has any suggestions they will be very welcome (is their a video tutorial for how to install Lame?)
This one MIGHT have that information: https://youtu.be/rraizMiOf8s
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine