Hello, I am a library consultant

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
rhonda

Post by rhonda »

for youth with disabilities. I work with Monroe County librarians to help youth with various disabilities to become lifelong library users. LibriVox would be a wonderful resource for this population.

I am very excited to have found LibriVox and I am very interested in recording books for LibriVox.

I think it would be wonderful to see books geared toward teens. I would also like to focus on books that portray characters with disabilities positively. A great bibli is called Voices from the Margins. It highlights 200 titles for youth prek to teens. Many of these teen titles may be appropriate for LibriVox.

Looking forward to finding out more about LibriVox!
Rhonda Miga
Library Consultant
Youth with Disabilities
Rochester, NY
www.libraryweb.org
(click on Youth with disABILITIES
for more information)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Hi rhonda,

welcome! ... we are constrained by what we can legally record - ie books in the public domain, or creative commons stuff. this means almost everything we can legally record (due to copyright issues) are books published in US before 1923, which limits things significantly. our main source of texts is:
http://www.gutenberg.org

so if you have any suggestions of stuff of particular interest to your group - please let us know.

and also note, we welcome anyone who wants to help read for librivox projects, so maybe this is something your group might be interested in. that is, you could look at librivox as a resource, but also as a project that people can become involved in and contribute to - we encourage not just listeners (which is great), but readers too!

all the best,
hugh.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Hi Rhonda and welcome! You'll find lots of us library types around here. :) Your job sounds very challenging and rewarding! I do hope you'll join in recording with us and maybe involve some of the teens you work with! The issue of books for teens is problematic since we're limited to pre-1923 works and the young adult genre didn't really emerge until the 50s and 60s. But that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of good classics that teens can enjoy, it just may take a bit of searching to find the right book. Good luck and welcome again!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman