Wanting to Volunteer from Yellowstone

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
npstora

Post by npstora »

Hello! This is Tora in Yellowstone. I recently discovered Librivox and am a hooked listener. I am interested in volunteering to record, but am a bit cautious because I don't have consistent internet access (I can't download things on government computers and there is no wifi in the wilderness). Would only being able to submit or download things every couple of weeks be a problem? And is there someone to help hold my hand through the technical stuff?--I've never even been on a forum before!
anna

Post by anna »

Welcome Tora.

Have fun here.

There are Wiki pages, I don't know if you have seen them?
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/

Read those pages, and if you have questions after reading, well just give a yell or holler and some one will help you :D

Greetings Anna
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
kri

Post by kri »

We're here to help :) If you ever have any questions, or feel like you're missing something, just post your question in the Need Help section. Oh! And the Wiki help pages will have answers to lots of your questions.

It shouldn't be a problem if you can only get intermittent internet access. Just head on over to the one of the Readers Wanted sections, look for a project that interests you, and sign up for something. Most project coordinators aren't too pushy about things getting done quickly. Just mention that you might not be able to submitt your recording for a few weeks to the coordinator, before they decide to accept your request to help (and they most likely will).
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Tora, and welcome!

Kri's basically answered your questions already. Think of it this way - once you're all squared away on the technical level (we'll help, just give a holler), you can make plenty of recordings and submit several things at the same time. :) Have a great time here!

-Catharine
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome Tora! Hope you find the time you spend here exciting. You could always try a few poems out as long as they are public domain. Record a few and when you can - upoad them here.

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3578

As for technical stuff, there's alot of people here to help (friendly bunch too)

Have fun! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
npstora

Post by npstora »

Thanks for the welcome! I am hoping to hit Bozeman sometime in the next couple of weeks to get a microphone or digital recorder. What do you recommend--from a Staples or Radio Shack?

Tora
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Check this out for equipment:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/UserRecommendedEquipment

Most of us have a logitech usb 250 or 350 mic.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw