Gesine

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

My name is Gesine, and I'm also in the thirty-something club. Naturally, I have also worked in a library (as a student) and I like knitting, occasionally. Needless to say, I adore cats.

My background: I have degrees in literature and business administration, and am currently 'getting into' philosophy. I've worked in the IT industry for a number of years, travelling a lot, and am now self-employed doing web publishing.

In my spare time I write, read, watch movies, and sail (amongst other things). My partner and I have recently moved to Malta (the country in Europe, not the city in the USA) from the UK. Originally I'm from Germany, hence the name.

Hugh tells me that there isn't much feedback from readers, so I thought I'd give some here. I really like listening to other people read - I was beginning to miss BBC Radio 4 and searching for more audio books when I stumbled across LibriVox. It's a brilliant idea, and I've listened to several things by now. This morning we finished Wodehouse's Psmith. I'm impressed by the quality of most of the recordings. It's really been a very enjoyable experience. Many of the chapters were better than some of the professional readers one gets on commercial audio books (IMO). At first I thought not having the same reader throughout would be disruptive, but found it didn't matter. In fact, in some ways it made it more interesting.

I'd love to try doing a chapter myself, but just don't have the time at the moment to look into it all. However, I am browsing the fora here and gradually picking up on things that I need to know prior to recording, so I suppose I'll sign up for a chapter or two eventually.

In the meantime, I'll post some suggestions here and there. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Gesine
PS: It's a few hours after my initial post and I'm editing this. My resolve is already weakening, and I may claim an Austen chapter before the day is out...
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Gesine, and welcome to librivox! Thanks for the kind compliments about our recordings. Go ahead and claim that Austen chapter.... you know you want to! ;-)

Or record a short poem for our poetry project:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

Would you ever be interested in reading something in German? We have a few other German volunteers, and, although my college German is rusty I love the language and am planning to find something short and fun to start up.

Happy reading,

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi Kara,

Still pondering the Austen, but may do it, and may even persuade my partner to do a chapter, too...

I wouldn't mind doing something in German. As long as it's not Schiller or Goethe... having said that, I should get over my aversion one day. How about the Zauberlehrling? That's short. Could do it in German and in English.

Or some Fontane or Hoelderlin? Or even some Wackenroder - Die Herzensergiessungen einen kunstliebenden Klosterbruders - one must love it if only for the title. ;)

ge
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Oh, yes, doing versions of the same work in multiple languages would be so cool... the more the better =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Welcome, Gesine! Feedback is certainly a necessary component, listeners and commenters are just as important as recorders. Having said that, I do hope you'll join in recording, and it would be *great* to have materials in other languages to listen to!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thanks, Annie... I'm just in the process of recording two of Grimm's fairy tales, and have also signed up to record some Nietzsche (for a bit of light-hearted fun ;), so things are a-moving...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Sounds great, Gesine! It's good to see you getting involved, and you've had some great suggestions in the meantime. Have fun reading!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman