Hello from Vallington :)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
vallington

Post by vallington »

Hello!

I'm a recent graduate from the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (UK), where I studied for a BA (Hons) in Acting. Now that I'm out into the Big Wide World, I'm keen to make a start on my acting career as soon as possible. One of my goals is to start to explore and expand my knowledge of voice-overs in order to make the first steps in getting my voice-over career off the ground, and at my Dad's suggestion, I looked at the 'booksshouldbefree.com' site and the volunteer scheme it runs on. Whilst still in the early stages of seeking work professionally, I would love to have the opportunity to practise reading and recording in the fun way this site seems to offer. I am especially keen to record more children's material, but would eagerly take the chance to record any genre!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Hello and welcome to Librivox, Vallington! Great to have you with us! There are many members here who are honing their craft for possible work in the voice-over or voice acting field, and then a number of pros who hang out here as well. I'm certain this is a great place to get started with that sort of thing, in fact I know of a few who have been able to use their work from LV to audition and obtain professional work, so it is possible!

While you're here, you may also be interested in proof-listening, which is a great way to start out! If you'd like to try Proof-Listening, here's a link to the Guide for Proof-Listeners: Guide for Proof-Listeners

As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that explains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.

One of our volunteers, Philchenevert, has created several great videos that you might find helpful in learning more about Librivox. Here's a list of them: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way. You can just ask away in this same thread if you have any trouble.

Have fun!

Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|