Hello there!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
hearmeout7

Post by hearmeout7 »

Hi, my name is Vishnu and I live in Canada. I've been listening to a lot of audio books from librivox, and I've been reading Voltaire's "Candide" and I thought it would fun to to do the same thing, let others share the experience, if you know what I mean.

I've done some prior reading about how to record and test record, but I do have one question. When you make your test recording, what should you record yourself saying?

Thanks.

-Vishnu :roll:
Last edited by hearmeout7 on July 17th, 2023, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day at a time, no excuse not to rhyme
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Hello Vishnu! It's great to have you with us! I'll put some links down below that should help. The one about the 1-Mintue Test gives you a text to read that includes p's and b's and stuff so we can get a good test out of it.

Since you're here, I'll also see if you want to check out some of the other ways to help out here, including proof-listening, making cd covers, converting files into iTunes-ready audiobooks (m4b's), etc.

If you'd like to try Proof-Listening, here's a link to the Guide for Proof-Listeners: Guide for Proof-Listeners This is a great way to start out!

As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that explains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.

One of our volunteers, Philchenevert, has created several great videos that you might find helpful in learning more about Librivox. Here's a list of them: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way. You can just ask away in this same thread if you have any trouble.

Have fun!
Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, from the GTA!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Is that anything like the PTA?
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Err, no, not really. It's the Greater Toronto Area. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome from The Great White North!

Have fun!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw