Hello from Minnesota (You Betcha!)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
tim273

Post by tim273 »

Hello everyone, my name is Tim from Minnesota, I'm thinking of volunteering for some chapters and the hopefully recording a whole book. There are some books I would love to read. I hope I can be of help!

Tim
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome Tim check out the Newbie guide here:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

And its always good to test your recording setup with a short poem first to iron out any glitches that may arise.

Have fun! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
tim273

Post by tim273 »

Thank you Startlite. The good news is that I've recorded and edited music on my computer before using Cool Edit 2000 and Audacity so I'm familiar with that process. I've purchased a headset/microphone, so I should be ready to go. For me that is the easy part. What I'm concerned about is my voice and stumbling over things, that will be my biggest challenge. But maybe I'll get better with practice.

I will certainly read the link.

Thanks,
Tim
kayray

Post by kayray »

tim273 wrote:What I'm concerned about is my voice and stumbling over things, that will be my biggest challenge. But maybe I'll get better with practice.
Hi Tim!
Everyone starts off concerned about those things. Your voice is fine, I guarantee it. The main thing is to enunciate clearly. And sure, you'll stumble, we all do, but all you have to do is pause your reading (but leave the recording software running), go back to the beginning of the sentence before the stumble, and read it again. Then edit out the stumble later. Presto! You should take a listen to our Blooper Reel! :)

Have fun,
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heya Tim, good to have you hear!

You might like to take a look at the Poem of the Week which is put up on a Saturday evening, and then read by as many people as possible over the week -- I think it's a great way to "get your feet wet", even if you aren't much of a poetry person (I have two tin ears meself, but I enjoy recording them from time to time.)

Whatever you do, though, ask questions if anything puzzles you -- we were all newbies once -- and have fun!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi Tim! Welcome!

-Catharine
tim273

Post by tim273 »

Thanks everyone...I have a question. Suppose I really want to record something small that isn't on the list for readers wanted. Is the motto here: "Just do it?" or should I suggest it first and wait until its listed under readers wanted?
kri

Post by kri »

tim273 wrote:Thanks everyone...I have a question. Suppose I really want to record something small that isn't on the list for readers wanted. Is the motto here: "Just do it?" or should I suggest it first and wait until its listed under readers wanted?
Things get in Readers Wanted because someone decides they just want to do it :) Don't wait for someone else to add it in. Go ahead and put the project where you think it goes (if you don't know just ask), and get started :)
tim273

Post by tim273 »

kri wrote:Things get in Readers Wanted because someone decides they just want to do it :) Don't wait for someone else to add it in. Go ahead and put the project where you think it goes (if you don't know just ask), and get started :)
Sounds good thanks! One more question, if I put something in Readers Wanted, should I put the type of book and coordinator (ie. NF/ec) or should I let someone else do that?
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

tim273 wrote:Sounds good thanks! One more question, if I put something in Readers Wanted, should I put the type of book and coordinator (ie. NF/ec) or should I let someone else do that?
The coordinator will do that.
Karen S.
kri

Post by kri »

You can put the type of book, but a coordinator will come around and choose you. We each have a different work load we're willing to take, and different books w'ere interested in MCing :)

You may have already seen it, but check out the wiki main page under Readers for these pages...

How to Become a Book Coordinator
TipsforBookCoordinators
ProjectTemplatesForBookCoordinators