Greetings from San Jose CA

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Simon

Post by Simon »

Greetings all,

I love reading and have a fairly large private library. I wouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I have chosen to listen to a book before because of it's reader (usually George Guidall). In many cases I was treated to a story I would not have given a chance to if I had to read it. I hope that with practice, I can be 1/100th of the reader that he has been for me.

Simon
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you hear, Simon. Have fun recording, listening and soaking up the forum atmos. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kri

Post by kri »

Well Simon, you're in for a treat. You may find that the recordings here at LibriVox have a unique quality to them. We're nearly all amateurs, but we love the literature we're reading. You should check out our catalog, and maybe listen to some of the poetry/short stories if you want a quick sampler. You'll find our recordings different in a lot of ways from the audiobooks that you may buy from the book-store, but I hope you will really enjoy them. I know I do!

Ahh, and the Weekly Picks is a good place to get a sample of our recordings. Unfortunately this little piece has only been in the working for three weeks, so we only have three features up. Each have a 30 second clip. I post a new one every week, and hopefully we'll have a nice array so people can listen to small bits before they committ to a book!

Welcome to LibriVox :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the welcome :)

I will look around more once I'm at home. My wife found you all through the Earthlink newsletter and forwarded the info to me. I've got a lot of reading and listening to do and am looking forward to it.

Simon
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Excellent, and welcome! We're garnering quite a crew of Bay Area people here. :)

One of the ways you can help (even at work, depending on how much brainpower your job requires) is by heading over to the Listeners and Editors Wanted area. We proof-listen everything before it's released into the catalog (usually just listening for long pauses and accidental repeats). It's a great way to get a feel for different people's voices and narration styles, and to become familiar with works you might not have ordinarily considered listening to. :)

-Catharine, who really enjoyed listening to a chapter of History of the Peloponnesian War some months ago
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Simon: As a Californian, you might consider reading for the "Bohemian San Francisco" project, or if you into nature writing, John Muir's "Yosemite" just opened up for reading. Enjoy LibriVox!

-denny
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].