What Am I Doing In Okalhoma City?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

Hey there,

Hi, I'm Smokestack Jones. I'm a former actor and I currently work as a radio producer/board op. I've been wanting to get into audiobooks for some time and I'm so glad I stumbled upon this group. I did a couple short stories on my own recently (Lovecraft's Arthur Jermyn and Hemmingway's The Killers) just to see if I can do it. I was happy with the results, so here I am. Put me to work! :-)

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome SmokestackJones! It looks like you are ready to just jump in! Just browse through the readers wanted forums and check the first post to see what chapters are unclaimed then also the last few posts and claim away. Its usualy a good idea to wait for the coordinator to OK it before you start recording though.

Its also a good idea to start with somthing small like the weekly poetry to test out your recording system. But as a retired proffesional, you are probably set up better then most of us. :P

I have 3 chapters left in the book I am coordinating here :

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3193

But most of all - HAVE FUN! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
SmokestackJones

Starlite wrote:Welcome SmokestackJones! It looks like you are ready to just jump in! Just browse through the readers wanted forums and check the first post to see what chapters are unclaimed then also the last few posts and claim away. Its usualy a good idea to wait for the coordinator to OK it before you start recording though.

Its also a good idea to start with somthing small like the weekly poetry to test out your recording system. But as a retired proffesional, you are probably set up better then most of us. :P

I have 3 chapters left in the book I am coordinating here :

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3193

But most of all - HAVE FUN! :)
Hey Starlite,

Thanks for the welcome. I shouldn't have any problem doing it as I shamelessly use my station's equipment. BTW, I saw that Lovecraft's works have been suggested. I dunno their PD status exactly, but that would be a lot of fun - After Jermyn I was going to try my hand at The Call of Cthulhu.

-SJ
Last edited by SmokestackJones on August 20th, 2006, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

OH OH I just posted this site in the ghost story collection. ( I was looking up your recordings for PD status and Lovecraft seems ok). Here it is:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/index.html

Not my kind of stuff though.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
SmokestackJones

Starlite wrote:OH OH I just posted this site in the ghost story collection. ( I was looking up your recordings for PD status and Lovecraft seems ok). Here it is:

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/index.html

Not my kind of stuff though.
Hey Starlite,

Oh man! Perfect! Thanks!

-SJ
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

And of course, there are lots of other things you can read too. Check out the Readers Wanted forum... once you're feeling comfortable and happy, you might even want to start a solo project. :)

Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org) is a great resource for finding things to read. Generally, the rule is that anything published prior to 1923 in the USA is fair game. There are some copyright gurus who can also check status of particular works if you have questions.

Do you sing? Interested in joining the male choruses in Pirates of Penzance? :D

-Catharine, plugging her current high-involvement project ;)