New member from Florida

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MarjiS

Post by MarjiS »

My name is Marji and my forum user name is MarjiS. I am 72 years old and live in Florida with my labrador "Duchess". I do some part-time work in my home office but like to volunteer as often as I can. Because of the heat here in the summer I wanted to find something I could do at home. I have a background in radio broadcasting as a reporter, news director and talk show host, also doing many commercials and voice overs.

I love reading to children, since I have none of my own I do it anyplace that will have me! Believe it or not my dog likes me to read to her, she falls asleep right away. I think it is the soothing sound of my voice and not the story I'm reading.

If I can bring a little joy to someone at least once a day, then I am content. I try to do more but am not always able.

I have listened to many books on librivox and enjoyed them immensely. I am anxious to get started.

Thank you for your wonderful opportunity to so many people.
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Hi Marji! You are very welcome here and we're lucky to have you! I'm pasting some links below that might help when you're ready to start recording. Remember, people here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way.

Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

But the first step will be to upload a 1-Minute Test Recording:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

This test is of course not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure it's okay technically. We just have to make sure that everyone is in the right format so that the end result can be handled in a uniform way, and that everyone sounds acceptable from a volume and noise point of view for the purposes of recording the Public Domain works. Once that's out of the way, you can dive into the projects listed on the threads and pick something (hopefully starting short and easy since the editing is what takes the most time!), or you can find something in the public domain ("PD") on your own and read that.

So welcome, again, and have fun!
Samanem
:mrgreen:
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
carolb

Post by carolb »

If I can bring a little joy to someone at least once a day, then I am content.

Hi Marji,

What a beautiful sentiment.

I look forward to hearing your recordings

Welcome

Carol