grad student - as if I need more reading to do! :-)

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
margaine

Post by margaine »

Hello everyone.

I just found LibriVox and have already decided that it's one of the best things on the internet. I volunteered to record part of a chapter of Mary Wollstonecraft's Vindication of the Rights of Women.

I'm a graduate student at Rutgers University in New Jersey. I'm getting a PhD in Comparative Literature (this is why I already do plenty of reading), and I'm in the third year of my program.

Anyways, I'm really excited to be here and hope to continue my involvement. In school, I work on literature from West Africa, primarily, almost none of which is pre-1923. But I'm thinking of doing a project for LibriVox of something (I don't know what yet) written by 19th Century colonial explorers in Africa.

I also speak French, but not natively, so I don't think I'd do that well reading in French for a long period of time (althogh it'd be awesome practice for me)

that's all for now

M
Cori

Post by Cori »

Lovely to have you joining us, margaine!

Enjoy your Wollstonecraft, and keep an eye on the 'Sneak Previews' forum for the French, perhaps..?

As for explorery-types ... did the Savage-Landor's cover any areas you might be interested in..? I adore their writing-style, though most of the books are still wending their way to PG.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
margaine

Post by margaine »

Thanks for the suggestion - that would be another great way to work on my French, without subjecting anyone to my bad accent!
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oooh, Villette has tons of French in it! And I think there may be a couple chapters left. That or Jane Eyre. What is with those Brontes and French?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi, and welcome!

-Catharine