Hello from Brazil

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
luduvico

Post by luduvico »

Hi, I'm a 28 years old Brazilian who's trying to learn some English. I found Librivox a few months ago when I was looking for audiobooks on the Internet. The first book I downloaded was "The Secret Garden", read by Kara Shallenberg. I was amazed by the quality of the audio and became fond of the project (and of kayray :) ) since the very first chapter.
I'd love to contribute to Librivox, but, as I don't feel confident enough to read something in English, it would be great if we had a project in Portuguese. Another idea is to have a Portuguese version of the website. What do you think?

Well, I would like to congratulate Librivox for its first anniversary and thank all the volunteers for their hard work.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome! We love other language projects! There are also people working on translating the site here :

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2462

If you feel confidant enough, they could use YOUR help there too :)

Most of all enjoy what you do here! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Welcome Luduvico

Hope you feel right at home. We would all love for you to contribute in Portugese or in English. Go ahead and lead the way in Portugese. That is another language I just love to hear the cadence and melody. (Even though I can only pick out a few words that are similar to Spanish.)

Katwal
Kathy
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. M. Mead
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Check it out, there are all sorts of works in Portuguese on project gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/pt

I'd love to hear you do some recordings in Portuguese. I speak Spanish fluently and because of that can read enough Portuguese to at least get the main idea of the text, but I have no idea of pronunciations.
Karen S.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

There's also the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in many many languages - you could submit a Portuguese version:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2595

-Catharine
luduvico

Post by luduvico »

Thanks everybody for the warm reception!

Catharine, good idea! Great text to start with.
Starlite, thanks for the tip! Can't wait to see the site translated into Portuguese.
Kathy and Karen, I hope you enjoy my recordings. :)
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Oi Ludovico, Seja bem vindo a Librivox! Se quiser gravar alguma obra em portugu?s, posso te ajudar. H? mais um brasileiro por aqui, um carioca, por alcunha, Light_Strider. Eu sou apenas uma norteamericana que tem muito carinho por Brasil.

at? mais, Judy

p.s. parece que vc domine ingl?s muito bem. Parab?ns!
Last edited by jbieber on August 19th, 2006, 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
kayray

Post by kayray »

luduvico wrote:The first book I downloaded was "The Secret Garden", read by Kara Shallenberg. I was amazed by the quality of the audio and became fond of the project (and of kayray :) ) since the very first chapter.
You're so kind :) Welcome to LibriVox!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
luduvico

Post by luduvico »

jbieber wrote:Oi Ludovico, Seja bem vindo a Librivox! Se quiser gravar alguma obra em portugu?s, posso te ajudar. H? mais um brasileiro por aqui, um carioca, por alcunha, Light_Strider. Eu sou apenas uma norteamericana que tem muito carinho por Brasil.

at? mais, Judy

p.s. parece que vc domine ingl?s muito bem. Parab?ns!

Oi, Judy! Quando comecei a ler sua mensagem, pensei que tinha sido escrita por um brasileiro. ? raro encontrar americanos que falam portugu?s e voc? parece falar muito bem.

Como falei anteriormente, estou chegando agora por aqui e vou tentar gravar algo em portugu?s. Talvez comece pela Declara??o Universal dos Direitos Humanos, como foi sugerido. Vamos ver se fica legal...

Tenho uma grande curiosidade pelo seu pa?s, que ainda n?o conhe?o, mas pretendo conhecer em breve. :)

Espero que nos falemos mais vezes.

Renn?
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Eu pensei que uma obra curta de literatura ou hist?ria poderia ser mais mais facil para come?ar, do que a Declara?? Universal de Direitos Humanos. Que tal um conto de Machado de Assis? Pois vc decide - n?o tenho ideia de suas prefer?ncias. De qualquer forma, posso lhe oferecer alguma orienta??o

As obras do Machado ficam no dom?nio p?blico e foram digitadas por uma universidade no Brasil, n?o me lembro se fosse UNICAMP ou USP. Tenho uma colega em Mato Grosso do Sul (imagine!) que pode me informar melhor.

Tamb?m podemos combinar para traduzir alguns trechos do site Librivox para us?rios brasileiros. Stephan, um dos coordinadores, quer muito adiantar este projeto.

Para me introduzir melhor, sou historiadora, passei 2 anos em BH fazendo a pesquisa de doutorado. Sou mais ligada ? hist?ria do que literatura pois gostou das duas al?m das ci?ncias sociais.

Como minha pesquisa se trata do s?culo XIX, as vezes (por engano) uso portugu?s oito- e novecentista. S? para vc saber. :D

um abra?o,

Judy
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum