Hi, I'm new from Nairobi Kenya

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
OneHugaDay

Post by OneHugaDay » March 20th, 2011, 5:24 am

Dear All

I am a 41 year old South African living in Nairobi Kenya. I came accross the Librivox site while looking for audio books to listen to when I travel. I work for a big American company and my work as a regional sales manager entails quite a bit of travelling. I enjoy history books and have finished listening to "Alexander the Great" by Jacob Abbot and "The Story of the Middle Ages" by Sameul B Harding. Currently I am listening to "History of Julius Ceaser" by Jacob Abbot.

I would enjoy adding my voice to your list of readers as I feel that it is a fine way of making books available to people who, like myself, are busy and would like to access them in an audio format. I also think it is an excellent meduim to make books available to the blind community as many of the books might not be available in braille.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

Samanem

Post by Samanem » March 21st, 2011, 4:50 am

Hello OneHugaDay! I'm a History lover as well. There's lots of that to be listened to here, and lots more to be read!

To help get you started as easily as possible I'll paste some links below, but the Librivox Wiki (linked at the top of the page above) really has everything you need to know. You'll find the people here to be very helpful, indeed, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way.

A good place to start is the Wiki page, that tells you all kinds of general things about Librivox:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Main_Page

There you'll also see the Newbie Guide to Recording:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

There's all you need to know to get started, but the first step recording-wise will be to upload a 1-minute test recording:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Someone will check out your test to make sure your settings are right and also to make sure it sounds okay. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure it's okay technically. Most people use Audacity, but you can use any program you want, we just have to have a certain format settings and a certain volume level so that the end result can be handled in a uniform way. We're here to record every book in the public domain and we need all the help we can get!

Once you're reasonably in the right range, you can dive into the projects listed on the threads and pick something (start easy since the editing is what takes the most time!), or you can find something in the public domain ("PD") and read that. It's also okay to read things that other people have already read - yours is a different voice, and some people will like one voice over another.

So welcome, again, and have fun!
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|