Greetings from England

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
English_Thorne

Post by English_Thorne »

Hey everyone, I'm Marcus from the south of the UK. I stumbled across this site through booksshouldbefree.com whilst looking for a free audio book. Initially this was a little journey that started off from a youtube channel where getting a free audio book could be obtained from another website (not librivox or bsbf). Of course it was just another falsely advertised freebie with catches involved that required giving out credit card details on a supposedly secure website (it wasn't as far as I was concerned...if it doesn't have https in front of the address it won't happen - and seeing as I am a stickler for security I avoid handing out such information anyway). So I decided I really wanted an audio book now, having been presented with false free offers (free obviously being a widely abused and misinterpreted word) I was determined to get a free audio book. Googled it, found bsbf.com, got an audiobook (The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli) and the recording started with mentioning librivox, and I thought I'd give it a go and see what came of it.
I have a massive interest in medieval life, and lately I've been reading a book called "The Crusades" by Thomas Asbridge - a university lecturer as well (where does he find the time to write!?), and it looks at the Crusades from both sides of the fence (or should I say 'from all sides'?). I tend to read anything to do with knights, heraldry, castles (my personal favourite is a chateux in Rouen...huge and impressive, whereas most of our castles are either in ruins or looking a bit sorry for themselves).
I also play Medieval Total War 2, so you can imagine I have an interest in the military side of things from that period of time as well.
I have a small number of books because I've found that you don't need books when you have the internet, but sometimes it's just nice to be able to read a real book, made out of paper and hardback covering.
I'm an artist, learning to play the guitar as well, I also practice calligraphy and have some varied interests outside of the norm for menfolk I should imagine.
I want to be a volunteer because I have known there are people who can't read, for whatever reason, partial sight, maybe dyslexia, maybe they just can't read. I have visited a school for people with severe sight impairment - and while there is some support for people in that kind of position I don't think they are getting quite enough support. I think both those with sight impairment and those with hearing problems suffer the worst level of support in the UK, I'm not sure about everywhere else in the world, but I consider it to be distinctly lacking.
And also one more thing....I don't 'do' spam. I hate the stuff - just so that admin can be happy in the knowledge of it!
Anyway...hello to all and thanks for letting me in on librivox!
:thumbs:
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Great to have you with us, Marcus. You've probably sent all our New World friends into paroxysms of castle-lust. Two I know well are Leeds Castle (which is no doubt a great home, if a rubbish castle) and Durham. Now there's a place...

David
borg

Post by borg »

Hello to you too! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. :)

Welcome!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Welcome. I think you will like this book too then: http://librivox.org/secret-chambers-and-hiding-places-by-allan-fea/

I proof listened it and found it facinating!

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw