How to record for LibriVox

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
morrowka

Post by morrowka »

Question: What softward does one utilize in order to record for LibriVox? The only way I have ever recorded over the Internet is by using an Olympus Ds30 digital recorder; the recorder can be attached to a USB port, and the files can be uploaded by copying and pasting or attaching them via email. Does anyone "here" know if there are recording devices that utilize keyboard commands, as I am unable to utilize a mouse to navigate through software programs.

Many thanks for any information anyone may be in a position to provide.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Morrow

morrowmediakcATyahooDOTcom
email address edited by admin to prevent you from getting tons of spam :wink:
Kimberly Morrow
Metro Kansas City, USA
http://www.facebook.com/morrowka/
Guero

Post by Guero »

Hi Kimberly,

Most people use Audacity, which is a free application. You can find out more about it and other details about recording for LibriVox by reading the Newbie Guide to Recording. "Newbie" in this case can mean new to recording or new to recording for LibriVox.

You'll find a lot of information there as well as througout the entire Wiki.

Welcome to LibriVox!

Güero
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kimberly: first of all welcome.

The audio editing program Audacity that most of us use has many keyboard shortcuts to functions including some that emulate the mouse placement and movement. I'm not certain of course since I'm blessed with the ability to use a mouse but perhaps we can work it out. Give it a try and I will gladly help with ways to customize the keyboard just for you.

Of course, you don't have to use Audacity. Any program that produces an mp3 file with the necessary specifications would work too.

Keep asking questions. :D :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Recording a file using only keyboard short cuts is certainly possible. Editing is likely to be a lot harder. But fear not! We have another reader who is unable to edit for herself because she is blind and so when she sets up projects a post is put up in the editors wanted forum and other readers volunteer to edit her chapters for her. This is a solution open to you if you find that editing is not easy for you.

Sandra7 is this reader's name. I shall send her a PM (private message) pointing her to this thread and hopefully she will be able to advise you on what program she uses and the keyboard shortcuts available.
So little space, so much to say.
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello Kimberly,
nice to meet you, welcome to librivox.

I use audacity to record with but Sound Fordge is also very good. Audacity is free to download. If you're recording, the letter R is for record, space is stop and play back, P is pause, k is to delete everything, (I merely add that in case you hit it by mistake without noticing). There are the usual keystrokes for opening, saving and closing files. Editing, as Lucy pointed out, is an entirely different story. If you're up for it I can send you the necessary keystrokes as a PM, (there's a mannual of keystrokes).

All the best,
Sandra.