Girl Scout from California

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Shannnonski

Post by Shannnonski »

Hi I'm Shannon and Librivox is helping me out with my Senior Girl Scout Gold Award. I'm going to compile a CD of children's stories and poems and donate them to the Blind Childrens Center in Los Angeles. Right now I'm recoring Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. If you have any other suggestions let me know! Thanks so much!
:lol:
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Very good! I remember doing girl scouts back in the day... but Librivox didn't exist back then. (The web as we know it today didn't really exist either. Yeah, I'm old. ;)

Is your Scoutmistress coordinating your project? Eventually, you'll need a metacoordinator here at Librivox who will catalog your project. We also need to make sure that you're reading stuff in the public domain - Project Gutenberg is a good place to check.

You might also want to submit a quickie recording here, like doing a version of either the Weekly Poem or the Anniversary Poem, to make sure that there aren't any weird technical issues going on.

Looking forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

*three cheers for Girl Scouts*

I too am a long-time Girl Scout and am happy to help you out in any way that I can.

One really important thing to think about when you are doing your recordings is to be sure that the text is in the Public Domain so that you aren't infringing on anyone's copyright...

Project Gutenberg has an excellent selection of children's stories that are in the public domain... if you haven't seen these yet, here are the links the Raggedy Ann and Andy stories:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/18190
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17371
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

OK I don't want to be a wet blanket but wasn't there some issues with doing Ragady ann stories? Kymmz was doing it awhile back and I thought thier foundation did not want us to do it? Please correct me if I am wrong. I couldn't find the thread where this was mentioned though.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Starlite wrote:OK I don't want to be a wet blanket but wasn't there some issues with doing Ragady ann stories? Kymmz was doing it awhile back and I thought thier foundation did not want us to do it? Please correct me if I am wrong. I couldn't find the thread where this was mentioned though.
Yes, it's true that there is a company that claims the rights to the modern versions of Raggedy Ann and Andy... but the original stories are in the public domain and we can reproduce them as audio recordings as long as we use the public domain versions (as published at Project Gutenberg) and not the ones published in modern editions =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Shannnonski

Post by Shannnonski »

Thanks for the comments. Kri is my advisor at Librivox and I just now finished recording my first story, Raggedy Ann and the Kite. I got it off The Guttenberg Project so it should be the right version. The story is about nine minutes long. I'm sending it to Kri and once it's up any comments and suggestions would be great!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

thistlechick wrote: but the original stories are in the public domain and we can reproduce them as audio recordings as long as we use the public domain versions (as published at Project Gutenberg) and not the ones published in modern editions =)
Thanks for correcting me Betsie :)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh and here is a good link for future children's books to read:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2582

Enjoy!
kri

Post by kri »

Welcome to LibriVox Shannnonski :) I'm glad you're jumping right in. The next step I'd suggest for you, is to create a new thread in the Going Solo section. There we can keep track of your project.

Are you planning to do a combination of raggedy ann, and raggedy andy stories? If so, you could perhaps title your thread "Compilation of Raggedy Ann, and Raggedy Andy Stories by John B. Gruelle - CF/kl" The CF is for children's fiction, and the kl is for my initials, meaning I'll be your MC of course :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Welcome, Shannon! I was a Girl Scout until I was 17 :) I still have a bagful of badges in my drawer, heheh. Ought to do something crafty with them I guess! Happy reading!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Shannnonski

Post by Shannnonski »

Thanks so much for the link http://www.childrenslibrary.org/ I have found loads of great stories that are perfect for my project! Do these stories need to be in the Guttenberg Project for me to record them on to Librivox or does that not matter just as long as they are no longer under copyright?

here is the link to one of the stories I am interested in Ciconia Ciconia White Stork

http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl/BookPreview?bookid=baucico_00040009&summary=true&route=simple_274,84_0_0_English_11&lang=English&msg=
kri

Post by kri »

The book has to have been published before 1923, which means it's in the public domain (no copyright). We use Gutenberg as our resource to determine if a text is in the public domain or not because it's easy, but you can still do a book if it's not in Gutenberg. We just need to be able to verify that it's in the public domain. There are a few of us around here who can help with that if you have a text like that.
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Shannnonski wrote:Hi I'm Shannon and Librivox is helping me out with my Senior Girl Scout Gold Award. I'm going to compile a CD of children's stories and poems and donate them to the Blind Childrens Center in Los Angeles. Right now I'm recoring Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. If you have any other suggestions let me know! Thanks so much!
:lol:
Shannon: Here's a good place to find public domain books. It's called the International Children's Digital Library. This link will take you to the books that are public domain:

http://tinyurl.com/qxssr

-denny