Another Aussie Accent joins the ranks ! beep beep !!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Michelle_S

Post by Michelle_S » July 18th, 2006, 3:44 am

All the way from Sunny Queensland Australia - Townsville to be precise. Where 11 months of the year the temp don't get below 25 degrees - and the sun is shining. 8) :lol:

I have searched the forums and help topics but I have a question that needs answering - where do I find the text to read from ? I see that Robin Hood needs volunteers still, but with a waring that some of the words used are old school english - I thought I might like to rise to this challenge but would like to read the text first before submitting my 'yes I would like to read' post. :shock:

Are you able to tell me where the text is visable ?:?:

Thanks and Good wishes to all
Live Life Love and Be Happy and Let Super Things Happen .>.>.>.

Starlite

Post by Starlite » July 18th, 2006, 4:01 am

Welcome Michelle, The text is posted in a link to gutenberg in the first post. Very near the top of the page. Right after "Target completion date" Hope that helps. Enjoy reading! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » July 18th, 2006, 7:54 am

welcome!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » July 18th, 2006, 8:05 am

Hi Michelle! If you ever have any other problems finding the proper text, you can also make a post in that project thread and the Book Coordinator will point you in the right direction. I hope you will help with Robin Hood! The language is not all that archaic :)

Welcome to LibriVox!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 18th, 2006, 8:53 am

Warm Welcome to the Warm-Clime Aussie!
Great first post (paraphrase): Hi, I'm here, how can I get cracking?
Chompin' at the bit.
Oh, hey -- suggestion: send a 1-min test here or in the book thread of your choice -- suggested content: describe the weather today, and when it's particularly hot, how do you stay cool? (Curiosity speaks here.) That'll put your eq. through the paces and help you adjust any settings that may need it. While it's still summer for most of the LV population, it'll be a point of interest to hear about your winter. :D

Anita
who wishes she could live everywhere at once
no, actually, just a whole bunch of places
Anita

Michelle_S

Post by Michelle_S » July 19th, 2006, 4:38 am

a.r.dobbs wrote:Warm Welcome to the Warm-Clime Aussie!
Great first post (paraphrase): Hi, I'm here, how can I get cracking?
Chompin' at the bit.
Oh, hey -- suggestion: send a 1-min test here or in the book thread of your choice -- suggested content: describe the weather today, and when it's particularly hot, how do you stay cool? (Curiosity speaks here.) That'll put your eq. through the paces and help you adjust any settings that may need it. While it's still summer for most of the LV population, it'll be a point of interest to hear about your winter. :D

Anita
who wishes she could live everywhere at once
no, actually, just a whole bunch of places
Here is a little of what I have to offer - Yes I love to read out loud. I work a second job each weekend as a babysitter and always am on the look out for suitable reading out loud material for children of all ages. I also have a good friend who has MS so have been waiting for a site like this to enter my life so I can record my voice of story books that she has requested and can listen to her favourite stories, as she is unable to read herself these days as she has advanced stages of MS.

I would also like to know about the people who get paid to read adaptations of books ie Memoirs of a Geisha - where do the readers obtain the scripts from ? Does anyone here have much of an idea.

Are they at all accessable and on offer- what about current authors how does one get one's mits on an audio book script for one of the authors books or is this not really a huge market that they don't offer scripts ?

That is actually how I found this site googleing for scripts/audio books.

So below is my first ever link - pls offer any feedback on how I can make my story telling enjoyable for all....thank you

http://librivox.greenkri.com/uploader/upload.cgi?m=yes2&file1=726f62696e686f6f6420696e74726f64756374696f6e5f70796c652e6d70332e6d7033 - robinhood introduction_pyle.mp3.mp3

Starlite

Post by Starlite » July 19th, 2006, 5:33 am

First of all welcome :)

The book you mention "Memoirs of a Geisha" is copy writed so there will not be a free script available. You are welcome to read a purchased copy to yourself or your friend but NOT submit it here as its not public domain. The only way you can obtain these "scipts" is by purchasing the books.

There are however Many public domain books out there. Here is a link for many different sources for public domain book.

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/book_resources

You are welcome to read these for Librivox. There are MANY childrens books available.

http://www.worldwideschool.org has a section just for Children's books. I hope I have answered all your questions.
:)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Michelle_S

Post by Michelle_S » July 19th, 2006, 5:46 am

Thank you Starlite.
By scripts I was meaning an easy format to read from. When reading from a book it gets tiring holding the book and the font in most books is not bigger than 9pt. A book that is not in the public domain would mean loads of homework typing out the pages onto a word doc for me to be able to englarge the font and to space out the material for reading - also most audio books are 'an adaptation' I was kinda hoping that this would be for all books and there would simply be an easy way out !

I have already done some Marian Keyes and CS Lewis. of course Marian is only for home use for Helen and I - but jeeze that was a big undertaking - I used a hand held mic and recorded onto tapes so you can imagine that I had well over 6 hours of recorded material for one book. So I am delighted to find this site. I am able to copy and paste the chapters I will be reading into a word doc - enlarge and space out the story so that when I read it feels to be right. My own script VOILA ;)

Once again thank you.

kri

Post by kri » July 19th, 2006, 8:08 am

I listened to some of your recording Michelle, and I have one suggestion to give you. Increase the input volume of your microphone, because the recording is quite low. You could easily increase the volume of your recording, but that usually amplifies any background noise you have.