Two questions from new contributor President Lethe

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
preslethe

Post by preslethe » July 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Hello, all.

Forgive me if I'm asking questions whose answers are already somewhere on this site.

1. What's the story here with making new/additional recordings of things that have already been recorded for Librivox? I imagine them more as alternate versions than as replacements. But, either way, I'd think twice about spending time recording something if, because a different recording of it is already here, my new recording won't be posted. On the other hand, if multiple recordings of the same thing were allowed or encouraged, I'd jump in.

2. In the U.S., court opinions (judges' explanations of their rulings/findings) are in the public domain. I happen to like reading these, and often do it aloud; and it occurred to me that some of them, particularly U.S. Supreme Court ones, have been quite significant in U.S., and even world, history. Is there a 'market' here for such recordings?

A

(I'll just sign that way: my real-life initial.)

ceastman

Post by ceastman » July 14th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Hello A.!

1. We welcome multiple recordings of various works. In fact, our Weekly Poetry project is all about that: getting as many people as possible to read a single poem. Everyone brings something different to a given work, and it's always interesting to hear those voices.

2. If they're in the public domain and there's some notification somewhere that says so that you can point us to, go for it. We've got some history and philosophy going, but I don't think we've had anyone read court decisions before!

You may find some useful material in our wiki:

http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi

especially the bit on Newbie Guide to Recording, if you've not made recordings before. We suggest you start with something short (e.g. Weekly Poetry) to get a feel for the equipment and software you're using if you're not familiar with these tools, and also so you can get feedback before jumping in to something larger.

Enjoy yourself here - thanks for stopping in!

-Catharine

preslethe

Post by preslethe » July 14th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Hi, Catharine.

It just dawned on me that people in this thread might not know I already posted a recording this morning in another thread (Nietsche's _Beyond Good and Evil_). Silly me.

Title 17: Chapter 1: Section 105 of United States Code puts works of the U.S. federal government into the public domain and outside of copyright protection.

Along with the rest of the copyright law in title 17, Section 105 is at http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#105.

Section 105 says "Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of the United States Government, but the United States Government is not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise." A work of the U.S. government is "a work prepared by an officer or employee of the United States Government as part of that person's official duties".

The footnote mentions one exception to Section 105. But court opinions are in the public domain.

Anyway, thanks for your answers to my two questions: I'm glad of both of them.

A

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » July 18th, 2006, 8:02 am

hi preslethe,

i think we'd be happy to have (esp supreme) court decisions, especially historically significant ones (eg Boynton v. Virginia) ... but I guess it would be up to you to choose ones you thought important.

h.