Add one to the count

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
kri

Post by kri »

Well, the only two things we worry about is that the text must be in the public domain, AND have been published.
raynr

Post by raynr »

a.r.dobbs wrote:Some folks (like raynr) are very good at tracking down information, but it's a special challenge to research in a language you don't speak (and I don't think raynr speaks Finnish atall).
That's true. I've been in Finland a few weeks ago. It's a great country and the language is beautiful, but a complete mystery for me...
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
raezel

Post by raezel »

www.gutenberg.org seems to have several finnish books, so I'll just do some of those, so you don't have to worry. I Finally got my mic back so I can start working on some poetry for starters.
kristin

Post by kristin »

I just listened to your recording of Art and Heart and it was really good. Don't worry at all about your pronunciations, every word was clear. I also found your voice very pleasant. Record more! :D
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Raezel,

As requested, I'm responding to your request for feedback on your reading of "Art and Heart." In short: You did a wonderful job all around! Now don't be reading these words and wondering when I'm going to get to giving you the "negative" side of your reading. There isn't any.

Also, your recording was very good as well.

Great for a first appearance! Keep it up!

Now get down to doing something challenging!

Hope to see (and hear) you around her more.

Alan
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi raezel!

Beautifully read!
I listened twice. Both times were for the pleasure of it.
It's wonderful. Musical. Lovely voice quality and accent.

I look forward to hearing more!
If you ever have pronunciation questions, several of us would gladly help out any way we can. Some of us are becoming accustomed to asking for pronunciation guides in languages we don't speak. It's FUN. I've sought help with French, Spanish, and Latin so far.

Thank you for the poem!!
Anita
Anita
raezel

Post by raezel »

Thank you for the encouragment!
a.r.dobbs wrote: I look forward to hearing more!
If you ever have pronunciation questions, several of us would gladly help out any way we can. Some of us are becoming accustomed to asking for pronunciation guides in languages we don't speak. It's FUN. I've sought help with French, Spanish, and Latin so far.
Anita
I'll be sure to ask if a problem pops out.

I just have to say that this has been the warmest welcome I've ever gotten anywhere. And the most helpfull people. Thank you all, I'll be sure to stick around.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

raezel wrote:I just have to say that this has been the warmest welcome I've ever gotten anywhere. And the most helpfull people. Thank you all, I'll be sure to stick around.
That warms the heart, raezel. :D
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

:D :D :D :D

And don't worry if you don't get all of the TAGs stuff right when you make your recordings. There are plenty of people all around you, ready to help. You get it all very quickly. You really can't get anything wrong, most things can be adjusted or fixed.

Still it is good to be certain your reocrding setting are decent, like doing some tests to be certain your volumes not to high or low and that your not aware you're making funny sounds or taping your mike cord or something.

Above asll FEEL FREE to ask for help!

Good luck and have fun!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Alan/cloudmountain, you should check out some of the recordings raezel's been making all over the place. Gorgeous stuff. Especially recommended is his Declaration of Human Rights in Finnish -- such an ear-opener -- hearing it I realized that I'd had no idea at all what Finnish sounds like (or had completely forgotten since my one brief exposure years ago).

:D
A
Anita
raezel

Post by raezel »

I am quite familiar with my equipment so no problems there, but making my english comprehensive is. It's strange how my way of pronouncing the same word can alter so much during one recording..
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I have listed and I'm delighted. I have a regular patron who is Finnish and he's always telling me how isolated he feels here by this side of the Atlantic. Even more interesting his wife is Bolivian, so his kids are constantly bledning Finnish, Spanish and English!

I hope the people in your homeland visit here and appreciate your work. The only thing I really know about Finland are two musical pieces: Sibelius ' marvelous "Finlandia" and the romanesque "Finland, Finland, Findland," by Monte Python.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
kristin

Post by kristin »

If you would like help on pronunciation, just ask. I would be more than happy to record any words that are giving you difficulty and send them to you. I find, even as a native English speaker, I frequently need to check pronunciation on at least 3 or 4 words per chapter, sometimes more. So don't feel bad, English is not an exact science, the pronunciations can be difficult, incomprehensible and vary greatly, almost unrecognisably, between dialects. (Which also makes spelling a pain. My own language and I can't spell most of it properly.) :roll:
raezel

Post by raezel »

The problem isn't so much in the knowing of how a word is pronounced, but in pronouncing it. Some words just come up muffled or stiff, no matter how hard I try.

When I just start talking english to myself it comes up fairly fluent, since I can use words I know and I can think it throught in my head, bbut when it comes to conversation or reading, my speech has a way of coming very stiff.
kristin

Post by kristin »

Hmm... I suppose the answer to that is just practice. :wink: I know how frustrating it can be trying to get your tongue around a foreign language. I lived in Germany for three months. My first week there was spent in the middle of nowhere in Bavaria and my first day I spent at least half an hour after lunch trying to get out the words 'der rechnung bitte'(sp?) so I could get my check and be able to leave the restaurant. (The waiter didn't speak a word of English and was very poor at charades.) Side note for anyone who has never been to Germany, they will not bring you your check till you ask for it.