Add one to the count

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
raezel

Post by raezel » July 13th, 2006, 3:25 am

Hi everyone.

I'm a big fan of audiobooks from Finland and stumbled upon this project a little while ago. I've been listening to Treasure Island, and have to say it's great. I would very much like to read myself but I'm not quite shure if I can do so in a completely comprehensive way, because my finnish accent is quite strong when reading english (to people who don't know, finnish is pronounced like it's written, so Finnish people speaking english tend to pronounce it that way too). I know from the FAQ's that te goal is not perfection, but I'm still a bit doubtfull..

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » July 13th, 2006, 5:02 am

hi raezel, why not try some short works - poetry etc - and see how you like it? glad you enjoyed Treasure Island!

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » July 13th, 2006, 6:24 am

Hi Raezel,

Finnish? That must sound wonderful!

Could you look at our milti-lingual project for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2595

David

KATWAL

Post by KATWAL » July 13th, 2006, 8:37 am

Greetings Raezel and welcome,

Hugh's suggestion is a good one. I'd love to hear your accent when reading English.

Kathy

vee

Post by vee » July 13th, 2006, 9:17 am

Treasure Island was the first book that I participated with. Give recording a shot. If you feel that you're uncomfortable with it, don't worry. We can also use a help proof-listening.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein

ceastman

Post by ceastman » July 13th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Hi Raezel! Welcome. :)

Vee's right, we can always use help in proof-listening, if you don't feel up to recording just yet. Just hop over to the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum, and sign up for a chapter. Usually we're just looking for long pauses, accidental repeats, stuff that can be edited out pretty easily.

-Catharine

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 13th, 2006, 3:12 pm

And we need Finnish audio materials, too!! Poems, short stories, etc. etc.

Hi hi hi! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Weekly poetry is especially a great and wonderful place to read -- you never need to worry that someone can't understand, because the poem is read by several readers, so listeners have many choices for the same poem. It often crosses my mind that acting students (or readers who want to use a character accent in a story) would be Very Appreciative of lots of examples of "accents" -- such as English read with a Finnish "accent".

Believe it or not, several of us do love to listen to languages we don't know at all, for the joy of language, the joy of ... that's it I think, the joy of human voice in its many expressions.

Short story collections in "Other Languages" (meaning Other than English ...) is another great thing -- select and contribute a public domain short story in Finnish. It could go into a collection with 12 other languages.

And solo work, also public domain.

I hope you will record. From your first post I cannot detect any reluctance to read and record, only an uncertainty about your English being quite clear enough -- and for that, the weekly poetry is perfect I think. Perfect.

:D Thank you for joining in!!
--Anita
Anita

raezel

Post by raezel » July 13th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Thanks a million for your encouraging words people. Once I get my mic back from a friend I'll just fire away and see how it sounds like.

EDIT: Hmm. there seems to be quite a few interesting finnish novels and short stories. One especially Salaper?inen Ovi (The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide, if literally translated to english it would be The Mysterious Door), but that would take me ages to do solo.

raezel

Post by raezel » July 13th, 2006, 11:02 pm

a.r.dobbs wrote:And we need Finnish audio materials, too!! Poems, short stories, etc. etc.

Short story collections in "Other Languages" (meaning Other than English ...) is another great thing -- select and contribute a public domain short story in Finnish. It could go into a collection with 12 other languages.
One more question, is there a project for that already?

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 13th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Hmm, I believed that we had a collection of assorted short stories in any non-English language, yet I see that we don't -- I must have had a glimpse of the future.

Such a project is needed.
Perhaps a few of us can initiate it.
Since I am mono-lingual, I'll ask around for better help.

Anita
Anita

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 14th, 2006, 7:40 am

Hi raezel,

what I discover so far is that we will make a collection once we have enough items in a single language. Until that number is reached, any text you read in Finnish will have its very own catalogue entry on the "Other Languages" page of the Catalogue
http://librivox.org/completed-works-in-other-languages/
Oh, look, we have
[FINNISH] Aho, Juhani. Helsinkiin (solo)

So whatever you would like to record, so long as it is public domain,* it will find a grateful home in LibriVox.
*(very important -- we can't catalogue anything until we're convinced it's public domain)

Anita
Anita

raezel

Post by raezel » July 15th, 2006, 1:40 am

Ok. Thanks for the ino. One more stupid question, once I have recorded let's say a short story, what do I do with it? I mean where do I send it etc.

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » July 15th, 2006, 1:48 am

Hi Raezel,

You should find everything you need here: How to record a whole book on your own.

Any questions after reading that, just ask!

David

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 15th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Suppose you've just recorded a 20-minute Finnish short story. . .
You'd go over to the Short Works Forum

Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)
http://librivox.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

and you'd hit the button to start a new topic
and type a subject line maybe like this
Finnish: "Story Title" by Story Author

And then someone -- like David! -- would come along and "MC" the story -- once you've supplied the recording itself, the MC prepares it for the catalogue and stuff like that.

Anita
Anita

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » July 15th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Or even suppose you intend to record a short story... same thing.

The only thing folks worry about at LV is whether the story is public domain. That you must be careful about. Some folks (like raynr) are very good at tracking down information, but it's a special challenge to research in a language you don't speak (and I don't think raynr speaks Finnish atall).

A
Anita