Greetings from Wyoming

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
gkearney

Post by gkearney »

Hello, I'm Greg Kearney from Casper Wyoming. I'm a programmer for the Wyoming Medical Center, member of the DAISY Consortium and author of the open source DAISY digital talking book production system DTBmaker (w3.wmcnet.org/dtbmaker)

I have been working at converting libriVox recordings into Daisy DTB format. Daisy is the international standard for digital talking books for the blind and print disabled also known as dyslexics, like me.

I have converted libriVox's Anne of Green Gables to DAISY. Anyone who is interested can download it at w3.wmcnet.org/dtbmaker/books

If any of you have any questions about DIASY please feel free to drop me a line.

Greg Kearney
gkearney@gmail.com
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Greg, nice to meet you!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

gkearney wrote:I have converted libriVox's Anne of Green Gables to DAISY. Anyone who is interested can download it at w3.wmcnet.org/dtbmaker/books

Greg Kearney
gkearney@gmail.com
Hiya Greg
I had a look at this and feel you have maybe dropped the quality of the recording just a little too much.
You have a bit rate of 24kbps.
I usually drop down to a minimum of 32 but prefer around 48 for speech and at least 96 but more like 128 for music.
Anne of Green Gables sounds almost like listening to it down an analogue telephone on your program
gkearney

Post by gkearney »

jimmowatt wrote:[

Hiya Greg
I had a look at this and feel you have maybe dropped the quality of the recording just a little too much.
You have a bit rate of 24kbps.
I usually drop down to a minimum of 32 but prefer around 48 for speech and at least 96 but more like 128 for music.
Anne of Green Gables sounds almost like listening to it down an analogue telephone on your program
I have limitations placed on me by the provider of the TTS system. When I make these I use a silent TTS voice and the SSML audio calls to place the recording into the book. The next version of the TTS system will permit me to use mp3 files so I will not have to down sample into low bitrate WAV files.

Greg Kearney
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Greetings Greg,

Good luck with the endeavor, sounds like a worthy one.

Kathy
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi greg ... good to see you here.

I posted here with info about yor project too:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2798

so you might want to keep an eye on it. I will try to rally some more testers.