Another new person...hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Spoons

Post by Spoons » June 25th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Hi!

Yes, as the subject line says, I'm another new person. I learned about Librivox from my wife, who found it while looking for audiobooks to listen to while she knits. Since I have some experience with recording and voice acting, she suggested that I volunteer to read for you. And after hearing some of the recorded works on the site, I'd like to join in.

I understand that the way to begin is with shorter works and poetry, which is fine--there are some things in this category that I'd like to try. Eventually, though, I'd like to work up to projects like some of Stephen Leacock's work (yes, it is in Gutenberg)--short, usually humorous, essays and such. And, I've always enjoyed his "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town," so as you might guess, I would someday like to read the whole thing.

I'll need to work a bit with Audacity, because I've never used anything like it before. But I hope that soon, I can begin recording and sending materials to you. Until then, thanks for the opportunity to talk to myself...err, I mean practice. :wink:

KATWAL

Post by KATWAL » June 26th, 2006, 8:12 am

Welcome Spoons!

With your voice experience, I doubt you will have to practice much before recording. Looking forward to hearing your endeavors.

Since your wife likes to knit, you might get her to look at the "Off Topic" threads. We have a whole skein of knitters (ohh bad!) involved in Librivox. She just might find herself listening for edit or recording before she knows what hit her.

Kathy

vee

Post by vee » June 26th, 2006, 11:05 am

Welcome Welcome! We seem to get a lot of knitters coming by. I'm sure Kara has something to do with it. It looks like you've done your homework, but if you do have questions we haven't answered, just let us know

Good to have you aboard.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein

ceastman

Post by ceastman » June 26th, 2006, 11:26 am

Hi Spoons! Nice to have you. :)

If you're already familiar with recording to computer, and if you have other software that you usually use, for heaven's sake, feel free to use that. Most people here use Audacity, 'cos, well, it's free. :) But some folks are in radio and/or professional podcasting and already own software, and they use those for, er, non-work-related recordings. ;)

Enjoy - I'm looking forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine

Spoons

Post by Spoons » June 27th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Wow...thanks for the welcome, all!

I should point out that I am not familiar with recording to computer. When I've recorded in the past, we used tape, recorded in studios, and had engineers who took care of the editing and such. Having to do my own recording and editing is a new thing for me, and while I can get Audacity to record my voice, I'll need a little practice to edit out the bloopers. But I'll manage.

I do have a few questions though. First of all, I understand that works that have been previously recorded can still be done. If I choose to record such a work, to whom do I send it?

Similarly, is it possible to record something that while in the public domain, hasn"t been asked for through the forums? If so, then again, to whom do I send it?

And, if I wanted to record a short story from a single author's collection, how would I slate it? That is, state the book title, the story title, author and so forth. I can see from the FAQ what to do about a poem, and what to do about a chapter of a novel, but I can't find anything about this in the FAQ.

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the welcome. It's good to be here.

kri

Post by kri » June 27th, 2006, 10:00 pm

I would suggest going to the Short Works section, and reading for the weekly poem. You can get a sense of the process here at LV, and it will answer all your questions. The first post of every project that has been started should have most of the information you need. Once you've done a collaborative project or two (weekly poetry, chapter or two for a book), then you've pretty much got the hang of it.

johngon

Post by johngon » June 27th, 2006, 10:27 pm

kri wrote:I would suggest going to the Short Works section, and reading for the weekly poem.... then you've pretty much got the hang of it.
Or - get this - you can sign on to Richard II and read the last role that is available. There aren't many lines, it'd be a quick turnaround before you see at least a draft of the results and it would give you a real nice into to the Librivox community... because anyone who is ANYONE is already cast.

All the cool kids are doing it... really...

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1017

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » June 27th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Spoons wrote:I understand that works that have been previously recorded can still be done. If I choose to record such a work, to whom do I send it?

Similarly, is it possible to record something that while in the public domain, hasn"t been asked for through the forums? If so, then again, to whom do I send it?
When you've made a start with some shorter/collaborative works as Kri and John have suggested, you can create your own solo or collaborative projects from works that you choose. As you say, these can be works that have already been recorded; and they do not need to have been requested. As long as they're public domain, they're welcome!

If you read through How to record a whole book on your own, you?ll find everything you need to know there and in the pages linked to from the article, such as the Newbie Guide to Recording.

David

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » June 27th, 2006, 11:04 pm

because anyone who is ANYONE is already cast.
"Oh, a wise guy, eh?" pipes up a NOone. <kicks a stone and wanders away, grumbling> "1600 LibriVox members ... 30 male roles ... 4.25 female roles ... grr-rumble."

<psst, just joking; go grab that last role and you'll be a hero in a bit part>

aNOBODYrdobbs
Anita

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » June 28th, 2006, 3:12 pm

leacock would be great. we have a dearth of canadiana in the collection - though there's not *that* much great canadian public domain stuff ... Leacock however certainly qualitfies!

Spoons

Post by Spoons » July 2nd, 2006, 9:47 pm

Then, Hugh, I will work on some Leacock. Actually, I was reviewing some of his short things today. I'll see if I can get through some without laughing too much. :wink:

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » July 3rd, 2006, 4:24 am

good luck!