New Poster Person Cachondo

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
cachondo

Post by cachondo »

Afternoon all,
Very, very new here so forgive me if I sound, look, or just am stupid.
The name's SEan (cachondo being a thing people stuck on me that I use), and I figured signing up was the least I could do.
Hearing people read books, especially when you can't read print yourself, is sort of useful as it provides access to the material.
Even though lots of the stuff is available as e-text, hearing a synthesizer read something doesn't quite do it justice - so I'm excited about being able to listen to books read with some inflection for a change.

As for me, well I live in South Wales and am doing A-Levels (which basically means i'm about 18 as far as age goes).

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to contribute much - but I enjoy reading and shouldn't think not actually being able to see the pages of a book would prevent me from helping out.
I was hoping I could get started by reading something small - maybe a poem or something, although I did miss the 11th by a good fortnight,.
Still, I'm sure I can find something worth reading, there's plenty out there.
Personally I'll read anything, so if there's something anyone wants to hear that isn't too long to get me started off, I'd appreciate a message about it.
Right, well, I'd love to ramble on for ever but I should think you have better things to do than suffer that - so I'll just say thanks for welcoming me, thanks for reading, thanks for ... you get the picture.
Sean.
"They are burdensome, they are limiting, they habitually expel bodily fluids out of a variety of orifices at high velocity, and they are extremely time consuming." DR. Selar, on Children.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heya Sean!

I'm new here too, but it's all fun so far! I "got my feet wet" by doing a reading for the Weekly Poetry thingy ... would be cool to hear you doing that!

What sort of thing do you like reading..? Would you consider doing something that your accent would complement, or are you looking for a truly random challenge..? Is a chapter of a book longer than you wanted to take on or more difficult in practice ... only, there's a lot of those awaiting volunteers in the Readers Wanted forum..? Perhaps a bit of Walt Whitman ..?

Whatever you do, enjoy!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Sean, and welcome! I love to hear you read our weekly poem, as Cori suggested. It's The Cow, by Robert Louis Stevernson, short and sweet. The deadline for that is tomorrow (Saturday the 26th) but after that someone will be posting another weekly poem, so if you miss The Cow you can catch the next one.

We've got Grimms' Fairy Tales going too -- also short and good for a beginner to get his feet wet on.

Jump right in and read anything you please!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
cachondo

Post by cachondo »

Cori wrote: I "got my feet wet" by doing a reading for the Weekly Poetry thingy ... would be cool to hear you doing that!
Well, how can I turn down a suggestion from two people at once? - Enjoyed that!
Cori wrote: What sort of thing do you like reading..? Would you consider doing something that your accent would complement, or are you looking for a truly random challenge..? Is a chapter of a book longer than you wanted to take on or more difficult in practice ...
I wanted to do something shorter first just to see how the things worked.
I've always enjoyed Welsh legends and that kind of thing - wonder if there's much of that going?

Still, a big thanks for making me welcome to all - and I hope my first recording was OK...
Sean.
"They are burdensome, they are limiting, they habitually expel bodily fluids out of a variety of orifices at high velocity, and they are extremely time consuming." DR. Selar, on Children.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I guess you'd want to be working up to this one..? :lol:

Could you do both languages of Y Gododin -- A Poem of the Battle of Cattraeth..? [Skipping the footnotes, methinks!]

We're Life+70, copyright-wise, so that's any books by people who died before 1935 by my reckoning; Gutenberg's quite good about listing biographical details.
Last edited by Cori on November 25th, 2005, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kayray

Post by kayray »

cachondo wrote: I've always enjoyed Welsh legends and that kind of thing - wonder if there's much of that going?
Not yet... do you have a public-domain collection of Welsh legends in mind? If you feel comfortable being a book coordinator you might like to start a new "readers wanted" thread, or if you don't want to take that on just yet, suggest a book and we'll start it up!
cachondo wrote: Still, a big thanks for making me welcome to all - and I hope my first recording was OK...
More than ok!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
cachondo

Post by cachondo »

It'd be something to get Y Gododin done wouldn't it?
:lol: wish my Welsh was better, but there's probably someone locally who would do that actually.
I know there's an elderly lady who does lots of readings at church and such in the language - and although she's probably never read to a computer before, maybe I could arrange something.
She's got a great voice for it too, so I'll have to see on that.

Luck of luck, the guys at college are doing a project on Welsh Legends so I'll see if I can't talk to them about anything public to read on Monday.
That's given me something to do! :wink:
Sean.
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Welsh legends sound fantastic! What wonderful variety we have here.
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com