Peter Why

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Cori mentioned this site in a DP forum. I've always liked reading aloud, though I'm more likely to be reading non-fiction, as I certainly don't trust my ability to assign individual voices to the characters in fiction! ... though I do love reading Terry Practchett aloud, complete with personalities (alone, of course).

I had already downloaded one of Rabindranath Tagore's books, some time ago. Only seventy or so pages long, so a solo effort. There'll probably be lots of questions from me on the forums.

It looks fun.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Welcome to librivox, Peter. Ask all the questions you like -- we're happy to help you in any way we can. Don't be shy about reading fiction for us either -- we don't all do "voices" anyway!

Happy reading!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Oh, nonfiction: There have been no bites on Nietzsche's Beyond Good & Evil ... any interest in helping me out?
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Welcome to Librivox, Peter!! There's lots of nonfiction in the public domain. You don't really need to do character voices, though, so I hope you'll join us in doing some fiction. Say, how about a little Dracula?
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to see you here, Peter - you've got a lovely speaking voice, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you choose to work on.

Enjoy!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you all; I've just bought a mike today, and will start on Tagore this evening. I've been reading the essay/book and marking it for speaking emphasis this afternoon. We'll see how it goes.

Hugh, I'll have a look at the Nietsche when I'm done with the Tagore. I'm not always going to do non-fiction; it's just a good place to start testing my reading without having to worry about how to handle conversations.

... oh, and Cori, thanks for the compliment. I work in a department of mainly women and keep getting told I've got a sexy phone voice ... I'll need to keep an eye out for those soft, gentle-voiced characters, if I'm going to have a go at some fiction! I'm looking forward to this!
Vlooi

Post by Vlooi »

Hi there Peter! Nice to see you.