Hello!!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Guidell

Post by Guidell » June 16th, 2006, 12:56 pm

I new from Colorado. How is everyone :?:

How can I begin narrating? Do I have to submit a demo reel or anything?
"You're either about to make history or become a part of it."

http://thetimetraveler.blog.com

KATWAL

Post by KATWAL » June 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Greetings Colorado,

Begin by reading through the forums. All the info you need is there. And before a day or two is out you will receive plenty of feedback from some of the seasoned readers.

Welcome aboard.
Kathy

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » June 16th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Oh a demo reel would be delightful, but only as a fun way to get acquainted. :D

No, Guidell, there's absolutely no demo reel requirement.

...Like Kathy said ... read around on the forum ... but um, there are over 30,000 messages posted on the forum, so ....

My favorite recommendation is to listen to some things -- it'll give you a sense of the whooooole place. [Listeners & Editors wanted is a favorite place for diving in and helping immediately, before plugging in a mic.]

But you ask specifically about recording -- if you've got your recording gear in hand already, then there are just a couple technical settings to know, and our evolving and splendid NewbieGuide spells things out:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

It's in a separate wing of LibriVox, the wiki wing, because that way anybody can add information to it (using the edit keys).

If you're confident in your recording set up, then jump into your favorite sort of reading. If your set up is untested ... but you really want to start recording, here's an approach that might appeal to you:

-- look at the Readers Wanted spots in Poetry/Short Stories (recommended for first-time recorders) or in Books (recommended for the impatient :) types, like me) ...

-- choose something appealing and read a test ... just a minute or two of anything -- read the message thread itself! That's a good idea.

-- send your test to the coordinator of your chosen project (or me!) to get feedback on settings and volume levels (those are the chief stumbling blocks for first-time setups) ... stuff like that.

Then record with confidence and pleasure. :D

What sort of material interests you most?
Do you already have everything you need?
Enjoy!

anita
Anita

Guidell

Post by Guidell » June 16th, 2006, 11:29 pm

I'm fairly new to the voice acting community and I've yet to test my recording setup....Is there any possibility of Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder?

I believe that's a short story from the fifties, because I would truely love to do the narration for that.
"You're either about to make history or become a part of it."

http://thetimetraveler.blog.com

a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs » June 16th, 2006, 11:34 pm

Guidell wrote:I'm fairly new to the voice acting community and I've yet to test my recording setup....Is there any possibility of Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder?

I believe that's a short story from the fifties, because I would truely love to do the narration for that.
Er...that doesn't take any research atall.
If it ain't public domain, it ain't a LibriVox project. [pre 1929 I think...oh...i forget but definitely not '50s]
So you'll hafta make that one a gift item for friends, eh?

Someone around here will notice your idea though and counter with something similar that IS in the public domain.

The basic rule of thumb is ... if it's on Gutenberg, it's gold.

And I do recommend that little one-minute test then -- it's awfully helpful!

anita
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on June 16th, 2006, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anita

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling » June 16th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Sorry, Guidell, but we can only do recordings that are in the public domain - i.e. (in US law) published before 1923.

A good place to get a feel for these things is the FAQ on Volunteering:-

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877

Don't worry about being new - most of us are, or at least were when we joined LibriVox. I certainly was. I started on Aesop's Fables, a fun and easy 'toe in the water' - but you'll find there's so much going on that you're bound to find something that interests you.

David