A Newbie in all Senses

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Anadaxis_Canejia

Post by Anadaxis_Canejia »

Hello Everyone!

A friend of mine introduced me to this wonderful site, and I have been listening consistently to some of the great recordings to be found here. My interests are towards literature and philosophy, and I hope to major in one of the two at the university. I am in my first year of college right now and am trying to go through major works in the Western Canon (as perscribed by Harold Bloom) starting with the Bible, Qu'ran, and Illiad/Odyssey. My favourite author is James Joyce, but I just reccently found out that his copyright was extended twenty years later than it would normally have expired for various reasons - most relating to his importance in the world of literature!

Some of my other favourite writers are Nietzsche, Hesse, Dostoyevsky and Kierkegaard. My favourite composer at the moment is Richard Wagner, but I feel myself a mere inchoate in the world of classical music as well, and would love to hear suggestions about your interests in this area!

I look forward to hearing more recordings and hopefully being able to do some myself, best wishes to all of you!
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Anadaxis_Canejia wrote: his copyright was extended twenty years later than it would normally have expired for various reasons - most relating to his importance in the world of literature!
Actually, no. It was extended mostly due to the greedy policies of corporations and governments. But don't get me started on that topic.

On a happy note...

Welcome to LibriVox. Glad you are enjoying the recordings. If you'd like to "proof listen" to the recordings before they are released to the pubic, that would be a wonderful help. You can find them listed in the Listeners and Editors Wanted section of the forums.
Kristen
http://www.mediatinker.com
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/KristenMcQuillin/]My recordings & claimed chapters[/url]
vee

Post by vee »

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060613-7048.html

Apparently the estate has been very agressive lately. But welcome aboard, hope you find your niche here soon.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
Anadaxis_Canejia

Post by Anadaxis_Canejia »

Wow, I had not idea about all this... I was just reading the introduction to a book "The Scandal of Ulysses" and it sounded like it was just the literary merit of Joyce's work that kept it under copyright...

What on earth is Disney's stake in Joyce??

Thanks for the welcome, I've decided to start with a few of the federalist papers, and they are a lot of fun! (Oddly much more fun to read aloud than they were to read for study in school...)
Increscunt animi, virescit volnere virtus.
kri

Post by kri »

It sounds to me it's more the people who actually currently hold the copyright that are so agressively trying to keep it. That way they keep any rights to it, and any money if anyone gets permission to use the rights.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Anadaxis_Canejia wrote:What on earth is Disney's stake in Joyce??
"In 1998, however, Congress added another 20 years to copyrights through a law that some dubbed
the Mickey Mouse Protection Act (Disney lobbied heavily for the bill)."

Disney is just accidentally in an article about Joyce.
What would be in the public domain now
if the copyright laws hadn't been
strongarmed by Disney?
Mickey Mouse.
See?

And we
have been having
such a great time in our wild
Ulysses 15c Playful Experiment and
its mesmerizing spinoff idea posed by Stephan
of "open code editing" . . . extended play . . .
i think i'd like to be . . . in denial now.
Before it's removed from Librivox,
please do yourself the favor
of listening to a snippet
in the Life of 15c
The Race
mp3 6.5MB
--Stephan editor
and sound designer
and then ... there's more
at the 15c editing captain's log

...Joyce's work returned to copyrighted
status (in the US, at least) through 2011...
Anita
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

the status seems to be unclear. gutenberg has a version, and they do extensive legal checking, so we rely on their work. i have contacted gutneberg to see if I can get an answer; but the existence of the gutenberg text is enough for me. PLS note: articles in the press are not gospel! mistakes get made!

this article illustrates the unclarity:
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001400563

I have contacted Robert Spoo, author of the article and IP lawyer who has written books on ulysses & copyright, to ask if he can tell me the state of the union:
http://www.dsda.com/Bio/RobertSpoo.asp
[/quote]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

also, the worst case scenario - if indeed we are violating copyright, which I do not believe we are - is that we will be asked to remove our recordings. until that happens, I believe we should go with the gutenberg legal opinion and forge on. and yes I said yes I will Yes.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

"Yes" takes the day.

a
Anita
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

Hello and welcome to the forums. The librivox team is always willing to help you find your way if you need help, but for now, just make yourself comfortable.

Speaking of Niche (forgive the atrocious spelling) I am listening to an audio version of thus spoke Zarathustra and it is terific. I have only heard little about Richard Wagnars music, but have never had the pleasure of listening to it.

I beleive we have Niche's Beyond Good and Evill up for proof listening in the Liseners wanted forums for your taking if you so wish.

Librivox is like a festival that only ends when you want it to. Enjoy the scenery and friendly discussion in our forums.