a belated introduction

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Well, I have been knocking around librivox for a couple of months now and never got around to introducing myself. I'm forty-something and I teach for a living. I did a few fables and collaborative chapters and then plunged into solo works, having completed two so far which may seem like a bizarre pairing to some: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz and a short work called "The Romance of Rubber." I am a long time but somewhat lapsed Oz fan and reading out loud seemed like a good way to reacquaint myself with the writings of L. Frank Baum. I am currently recording Sky Island, also by Baum, but I hope to do some non-fiction works as well. I like children's literature of all kinds, history, political commentary, and travel narratives. Austen too, but there's not much left of that to be done.

I found out about librivox from a travel tip submitted to the editor in Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine (I believe it was the February issue?). I thought I'd download some books to play in the car and some additional titles for a relative who is disabled. Then I thought it was unfair to take without giving back so I volunteered.

I also speak fluent Brazilian Portuguese and I can get by in Spanish if those skills should ever come in handy.

Great concept and great community. Thanks librivoxers, especially Rainer, my ever patient MC.

Judy[/quote]
Last edited by jbieber on June 19th, 2006, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To please a child is a sweet and lovely thing that warms one's heart and brings its own reward." L. Frank Baum
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

Greetings back at you Judy!

Looks like your Portuguese will come in handy for Librivox! (noting the other person who is fluent and interested in Portuguese lit.)

Look forward to listening to you. I may even listen to the Portuguese even though I don't speak/understand/read... Portuguese, only have a medium understanding of Spanish and English is my mother tongue. I love languages, the sounds, the melodies, the rhythms. I have learned a few words in Russian and Farsi, but not too many. I do listen to music in as many tongues as possible.

Welcome again.
Kathy
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome judy!
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Hi Kathy,

I have already exchanged PMs with the new Brazilian librivox member. I told him I'd be happy to proof listen. He's investigating the public domain laws in Brazil before embarking on a Portuguese language project. There is some wonderful stuff out there.

best, Judy
tina

Post by tina »

We're doing Mansfield Park at the moment, and would love to have you join us for a chapter or ten! :lol:
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/TinaTilney/]Tina's Wiki Page[/url] | I can receive files by [url=http://www.pando.com/]pando.com[/url]
jbieber

Post by jbieber »

Mansfied Park is one of my favorites. I will look at the thread and sign up for a few chapters.