NEW

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
WiseGorilla

Post by WiseGorilla »

Hello,

I am interested volunteering. I really do not know how to proceed from here. My daughter,a drama student and I wish to read for this project. perhaps Shakespeare, or Just So Stories, or Aespo's Fable or other short works that are needed. I need to know how to get started. What software or equipment I need and how to submit works. Any information that I receive will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

WiseGorilla & Family
http://www.wisegorilla.com
The Metalis Group.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hiya WiseGorilla!

There are three parallel universes to LibriVox,
1) the Forum (you are here), where all the volunteering action is
2) the catalogue pages/archive pages where all the completed audiobooks action is -- and reviewing!
3) the wiki pages where the serious interactive, evolving help pages are
The guide you need is over here:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/NewbieGuideToRecording

And then ... the first project you want to join in 8) -- I'm serious -- is our Ulysses 15c playful experiment! We have an immediate need for some very small parts to be read, and your drama family is cordially (not to say desperately) invited to participate. My instincts (as a director for 15c) tell me this is another very smart casting move on my part. :D

anita roy dobbs (I'll tell you more about the project! but I'll let you read the Newbie Guide to Recording first)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

And I'll add one other comment, about microphones.

Since you'll want to record together at times, the headset microphone may be a poor choice. The desktop version, a little wand-like mic used by many (Logitech), is the beginner's alternative.

But my recommendation, after trying three separate Logitech 250 headset mics and struggling with the scratchy sound I always got from it, is to consider a Samson C01U usb mic ~$80
It plugs right into the computer (usb), has a ten-foot cord. http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2005/09/samson_c01u_the_ultimate_podca.html
Now, that's only if you know you want to record a lot and don't want to hassle with hiss and scratchiness. And frankly, a lot of folks using the Logitech headset have great sound, and I may have accidentally run into a lemon crop in the headsets.

Anyway, the mic and the input volume settings seem to me the crux of audio quality. (Oh and the owner's manual for the Samson is so helpful, though very brief, and humorous, too!)

One person's recommendation based on her own very limited experience.
--anita
kri

Post by kri »

I say, get a headset mic. You can still set it up somehow so that you can both record together if that is your choice. However, you don't have to constantly make sure you keep the same distance to a headset mic as you do with a desktop stand microphone. You can adjust the headset mic to where it needs to be, and just go.

Regardless of what brand or type of microphone you get, I suggest making sure that it is a USB microphone. The difference in sound quality can be significant. If you have a really good sound card, it may not make a difference. However, USB microphones don't rely on the sound card at all, as they send the sound right too your computer.

I have to check Anita's enthusiasm a little, lest we scare you off :) If Ulysses is a bit intimidating to you (it was to me, and confusing too!) you should consider trying a small poem or something in the Short Works section first (http://librivox.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=19). With that said, start wherever you feel comfortable, and ask questions if you have them :) We're a pretty friendly bunch.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Looks like everyone else has covered your basic ground for you. Welcome to Librivox! :)

-Catharine, who uses a desktop Logitech USB mike
vee

Post by vee »

I haven't actually tried using multiple USB microphones on one computer before, so I'm not entirely sure how the operating system is going to respond. You might have to get a small mixer which would allow you to adjust the volume levels of individual microphones to even it out.

If you do make yourself through the various forums and wikis that we have, if there are still questions, let us know. There's always more we can add to the documentation we have.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi again, WiseGorilla & Family,

was worried I had scared you away. It's really okay. You don't have to read all the material in all three parallel universes of LibriVox or buy my favorite mic or even (I hate to say this) read for Ulysses15c.

Just wanted to say that I took a quick peak at your website (drama families are typically of keen interest to me) and was wow'd by your line work! I love sketching -- line, I love line. And I just took a close look at the ... what is that ... tangle-thorned seed / seed pod ... thing. Beautiful line.

ok.
just thought I should clear up the entrance exam to LibriVox:
exam: You want to volunteer?
answer: Yup.
result: You're in.

anita